Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc voltage multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanze

i want to build a circuit, that can give me a 15 v(dc) or 24 v(dc) output out of a 12 v(dc) input. any help will be deeply appreciated

thank a lot,
lanze :wink:

There are two ways of stepping up a low DC voltage to a higher one, which one you use depends on how much power you want to draw from it. A charge punp which is a diode capacitor network can be used to step up the voltage for low output currents. These are only suitable for very low output currents (10's of mA) so pobably wont be of any use for you.

The other option is to build a switch mode power supply (SMPS). These are based on switching an inductor at high frequencies (typically 100kHz - 500kHz). You can buy chips that control the pulse width of the switching and provide feedback to regulate the output voltage. I've used a SG3524 and am currently building one based around a UG3842. The manufacturers datasheets are often very good and provide example ciruits. If you are thinking of building a SMPS looking at these datasheets is probably a good place to start. Building a SMPS is not an easy thing to do.

You can buy DC-DC converters ready made as components, they are quite expensive, for example a 12V - 15V DC-DC converter costs around £7 and only has an output power of 1W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back