DC to DC conversion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

petesmc

Hi,

How can i convert a 12V into something around 20V? I want to use this as the supply for an op-amp. Would a converter be able to provide a big enough current?

-Peter

You can construct or buy a DC-DC boost converter. The chip version cannot handle much current. Using discrete components, you can build them up to fairly high currents. Just remember that Pin=Pout, so if you want to supply 10A to your 20V load, you will draw about 17A from your 12V side. The converter typically only converts about 80% of the power in a boost configuration, so your total 12V load will be 21A.

The uA741 Op-Amp runs on a 12Vdc, so you could have an amplifier circuit getting your 12 V up to 20 V...

Well, I thought you knew how to connected. No I don't have a schematic right NOW, but as soon as I draw the circuit, I'll post it (It may take a while :wink: , since I have a Basic Electronics exam comin'up...)

Agent 009 said:
The uA741 Op-Amp runs on a 12Vdc, so you could have an amplifier circuit getting your 12 V up to 20 V...

in order to have a 20V output, you need have around 23V rails for your op-amp. Further, unless you are running a 741 with Vee tied to 0V, you are exceeding the 741s specs.

If You need about 2A, build this circuit....

Attachments

• 2587.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…