Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC to DC 6V -> 2V

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantto

Hello, I need help with this. I need to turn an old bike lead-acid battery to a model glow plug driver. I think the current must high in order to get the glow plug glowing. Could i use a power transistor and a zener? Any help is welcome!

I obviously can't speek for anyone else on the forum but to design a circuit it might be helpful if you could tell us the voltage and current requirement of a glo plug. I was thinking they were 1.5 volts. Perhaps you could apply a 'standard' supply to one and measure the current drain to get this project going.

Yes, i think Gene is right, they are typically 1.5 volts
for models, for motor car diesel engines 12 volt is
normal.
I suppose various trucks or lorries might be 24 volt.

i have never heard or seen of a 6 volt glo-plug.

I will see if a search will bring anything up

John.

This is taken from here:
http://www.lakelandaero.50megs.com/glo_plugs.htm
Your battery should heat the plug to a nice bright
orange or red orange color; if the plug glows white
hot, it just isn't going to last.

They do them at 3 volts for models.
I didnt know that.

Yes the voltage that a glow plug wants is 1,5V. I just said 2 because my battery (the x-cell 5Ah battery) was 2 volts (the guy from whom I bought it said that it is a 1,5V).

When i measured the resistance of the glow plug it was 1 ohm. So 1,5V/1=1,5A. And i allso measured the voltage of the bike battery and it was 7volts.

In short:
Energy source: 7V 4Ah battery
Glow plug: 1,5V 1,5A

I think it's good idea to make the converter at least capable of supplying 2A @ 1,5V. Or any better ideas? :)

Easily done with a 555 timer with a variablem-s ratio to give the requisite current......... followed by a power transistor or mosfet
If you struggle with finding a cct let me know I'll dig mine out.........

Glo plugs work at around 15-2v with a current draw of some 4 amps

RC modelling is a hobby of mine 8)

Thanks for the reply, i'm still a n00b in electronics, so if you would show me your shematic, it would be very helpfull! :D

I'll dig out my circuit for you 8)

just realised I put 15-2 volts, missed the . out

ah well :p

Careful with the LM317 - I think their lower limit is 1.2V. Try it, but personally, I wouldn't use it below 2V.

In this case the best choice the LM2576 buck converter.
It sucks from 7V battery only about 320mA.

yes thats a better solution
and about lm317 i used it for 1.5V @1.3A for quite a lot and no problem if a good heatsink is there.

Sorry guyz, you seem to be missing the point here.......

Glo plugs need around 1.5-2.0 v at around 3-4 amps........

an LM317 couldnt cope with these demands nor the LM switcher.......hence the 555 astable and series pass device.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back