Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdb172

I want to design a DC power supply in which I can adjust both the current and voltage. I am looking for currents up to 15A and voltages from 0-200V. Would it just be easier to buy a power supply that can support 15A and build an op-amp type circuit with a variable pot to adjust the gain.
This will be put into a nice box with big nobs used to control the V and I.

Im helping my roommate out, he needs it for metal working in which the applied voltage in a medium such as acidic water, changes the color of titanium, etc...

0-200V at 15A is a huge power supply, and (as you are in the USA) couldn't even be done from a 110V outlet.

Are you sure about the requirements, to buy (or even build) one (if you could find one!) would be incredibly expensive - I would certainly expect in the 1000's of dollars.

I don't really know what I'm on about when it comes to anodizing, but I suspect that you don't need 200V and 15A at the same time. 15A may be good to start with, at a few volts, but as the oxide film builds up you require more volts, and need to reduce current to avoid heating effects. At 200V a couple of hundred milliamps may be enough. I suggest you find out exacty what the process needs, and use 2 or more different power supplies, maybe with automatic switching between them.

Hi !

I’ve built something like that a couple of years ago 0 to 250V @ 15 Amps and I used a variac (adjustable transformer) a bridge rectifier and some caps. The variac is obtainable for 127VAC in and 250 VAC out but it is not cheap.

Ante :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back