Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguy33

I'm trying to use a DC motor with some kind of spool or something similar on it, to pull an egg in a little basket type thing up a ramp(it's a project for school). I've got a 3V DC motor and it seems to have enough power from, but it's a bit to fast, what can I do to slow it down and not lose the power it has?

would setting up a clock freq from a 555 timer do it? I need a method that's not too expensive and I need to use something I can find easily as I don't have much time to make this.

someguy33 said:
I'm trying to use a DC motor with some kind of spool or something similar on it, to pull an egg in a little basket type thing up a ramp(it's a project for school). I've got a 3V DC motor and it seems to have enough power from, but it's a bit to fast, what can I do to slow it down and not lose the power it has?

would setting up a clock freq from a 555 timer do it? I need a method that's not too expensive and I need to use something I can find easily as I don't have much time to make this.

1. If you want to slow down the motor but still maintain it's torque you need to gear the motor down. THis will slow down the motor and increase it's torque. Something like a gearbox or a belt drive with different sized pulleys.

2. But if you wanted to run the motor with less speed (and also less torque) and do it efficiently (like not using a resistor to burn off the extra energy going to the motor as heat):
Yeah, you can use the 555 timer as a constant frequency PWM generator to drive an NMOS (in series with a motor) if you only need single direction movement. If you need dual direction, then you need to use the PWM generator to drive the transistors in an H-bridge (but then you'd probably have a microcontroller or some other smarts in your circuit and not need a 555 timer).

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thre's also the option of using an NMOS PWM controller and a simple relay for direction control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back