Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor/generator for hybrid drive system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackF

Hello all, I am currently designing a hybrid vehicle drive system which demonstrates the principles of hybrid drive for a project (not an actual vehicle compatible system) which utilizes a brushless DC motor/generator unit to both charge a battery, and power the drive train. The system is based on the Parallel hybrid drivetrain.

I am currious though as to how I can make the unit act as a generator and then be switched to act as a motor? As the battery is connected to the unit, there is no way of stopping the battery from driving the unit as a motor instead of receiving charge?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The drivetrain consists of a fixed axle, which can be hand turned to demonstrate the principal of ICE torque. A sprocket gear is to be mounted on the axle, with a chain linking to another gear attached to the motor/generator units shaft.

Last edited:
The only difference between a DC motor and a generator is what it's connected to. Your existing motor control circuitry probably can't be modified to be used as a generator, but if you can tap the motors windings directly it comes out as polyphase AC. You just need to provide it a load and feed it into the battery. I'd think using a polyphase rectifier/transformer to get a decent load impedance (you really want a hard breaking effect) and then use the mosfets to turn the whole thing on and off to allow you to PWM the breaking effect. JUST like a motor speed controller, only in reverse.

Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back