Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dc motor controller(forward reverse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppcandieq

Hi all..

need some advice..now,i'm doing a project using PLC..i've to control 4 power window motor using PLC as a controller..I have problem with how to make a forward reverse circuit using relay 24V without a switch coz output from PLC act as a switch..need some advice how to design the controller circuit coz relay is 24v(output from PLC) but power window motor only 12V..i just need forward reverse controller n relay contact wiring(12v) to power window motor..

Plz help me..
Next monday is my presentation..

Thanks...

Hi ppcandieq,

use an L298 (ST-semiconductor dual full bridge). It works up to 46V with an output of 4A.

You must have three output signals from the PLC, two for direction and one to enable/disable the outputs for braking.

Here is the functional table.

Boncuk

Attachments

• LOGIC-L298.gif
    LOGIC-L298.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 2,286
Last edited:
You could just use two outputs per motor to drive two SPDT relays so that when both are off the motor is off and when each is activated they either tell it to go forward or reverse.

Hi Boncuk,

I dun understand bout ur suggestion..can u help me give the detail information???

tcmtech,

can u explain me the detail of your suggestion??

Hi ppcandieq,

I also don't understand how a PLC can output 24V. PLC are logic devices operating at 5 respectively 3.3V.

To control a motor the supply voltage of the PLC has no effect on the motor drive circuit which must accept logic level control though.

You can either use relays via transistors to be connected to the I/O pins of the PLC or use a full H-bridge.

Relays get annoying when used frequently because of their clicking noise. An H-bridge does the switching (silently) using internal power MosFet transistors.

Using relays or an H-bridge you must take care that both outputs have the same level to stop the motor and reverse direction after it has come to a full stop.

Otherwise you might burn up the relays and/or the motor.

Boncuk

hi boncuk..

from the output of PLC,it use to ON the relay..
n as i know,power window motor is 12V right?
So,i use the 12V power supply to the contacter of the relay..
But,i forgot the circuit controller already..
thats why i need a forward reverse controller circuit..

To do the two relay method you connect the motor leads one to each common of each relay. Then connect the normally open contacts of each relay to positive and the normally closed contact to the negative.

When one relay is activated it takes that motor lead from negative to positive. When the other is activated it takes the other lead from negative to positive thusly reversing the motor in reference to the other relay.

Most commercial PLC system I have ever been around used either 24 VDC or 120 VAC for the outputs. Or just a basic isolated relay unless it was an application specific output device. But yes there are probably many other styles as well.

Hi ppcandieq,

here are a circuit diagram and a PCB layout.

Function table is printed in the schematic.

The PCB design is single sided and measures 2.4875X1.65inches. Relays are capable of 8A. Relay brand is "FINDER".

Boncuk

Attachments

• MOTOR-RELAY-SCH.gif
    MOTOR-RELAY-SCH.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 6,009
  • MOTOR-RELAY-BRD.gif
    MOTOR-RELAY-BRD.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,187
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips