Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Motor Controler Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

imperium2335

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone can help me with creating a 10KW motor controller.

I am quite new to this but I have some experience with electronics, just the basics though.

I've looked around the net and I can only find tutorials on small controllers which are no where near what I want in terms of power and robustness. I know it would be much more than simply scaling up the components of those smaller circuits in terms of voltage etc.

I would the controller to be able to be able to reverse the motor and be able to regenerate the battery upon braking (hall effect?). I also want to put in some other little things like temperature monitoring of the controller and actual RPM speed of the motor.

Could someone help me out or point me to some good tutorials?

It would be a 8KW hub motor to be controlled with a throttle for acceleration. A brake would cause it to slow down the motor and regenerate the battery if possible (As on my Chinese electric bike and most others when I was in China).

Would it be simpler/cheaper for me to create a smaller one first? If anyone has any good tutorials on that it would be much appreciated! Thanks.

8KW for a bike? I think that's 10HP. I see wheelies in your future.:D
Having said that, I have been looking for such a motor. Could you post a link? That would help us see what type it is - brushed, brushless, star, delta etc.
What will your battery voltage be?

Hi,

This is something I am researching now in the hopes of making it someday within the next 2 years. Normally wheelies absolutely, but I'm planing on making it all wheel drive ;), two 8kw brushless hub motors, passive solar regen of battery and a load of other things I don't have a clue to do as of yet!

I've look around and it seems the most common place to get stuff like that is from alibaba/Chinese companies if you can find one that won't scam you.

Could anyone give me a schematic and parts list for a small controller that would cost no more than about £30?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Will your bike be towing a trailer to carry the enormous battery for this 16kW load? Plus unless you move nearer the sun it's a tad optimistic to think of solar charging the battery IMHO.

The solar charging is intended as a small top up when you leave it at work or wherever for an extended period of time. Far greater loads have been driven using a compact battery arrangement e.g. lithium-polymer batteries.

It looks good for small applications, but it wouldn't be any good for larger applications right? It's very cheap, maybe I will start out with this and build a small motor. I don't know much about ICs, could you point me to a site that tells you how to wire this up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back