Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor control by PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

n ranjan

Hi, i am using pwm output of 16f877 to control dc motor speed contol. the motor has a tacho output which has to be diplayed in the lcd display unit. the pwm period is 5 milli second. a TIP142 is used as driver transistor to the load( motor). the problem is i am unable to get stable output of tacho with the result the lcd display fluctuates by 5 to 7 counts. on the otherhand when i give varying dc voltage to the motor the tacho output is constant and the display is very stable. my question is

1.should i modify the driver ckt to convert the pulse width output to a dc voltage . or is there any way to get a stale dc tacho output.

n ranjan said:
Hi, i am using pwm output of 16f877 to control dc motor speed contol. the motor has a tacho output which has to be diplayed in the lcd display unit. the pwm period is 5 milli second. a TIP142 is used as driver transistor to the load( motor). the problem is i am unable to get stable output of tacho with the result the lcd display fluctuates by 5 to 7 counts. on the otherhand when i give varying dc voltage to the motor the tacho output is constant and the display is very stable. my question is

1.should i modify the driver ckt to convert the pulse width output to a dc voltage . or is there any way to get a stale dc tacho output.

I should try varying the PWM frequency, you should be able to get a stable speed from PWM - but if it's too low a frequency the motor can slow down during the dead periods.

I like to use around 25Khz on smaller motors so I don't have to hear any noise from the PWM signal. It does heat up the electronics a little bit but I would rather to that then hear 1-6Khz noise!

200Hz is definitely too small. As Nigel said, I would start with at least 1Khz but you will probably get much better results around 5-6Khz.

-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back