Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC-DC power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikrogut

Hi

I am building a portable GPS app. My power source will be 3 AA 1.2V rechargeable batteries that give 3.6V but, some of my parts require 3.3V +- 5%. My app will consume at the most 900mA. I have checked out several DC-DC step-down IC's but the most of them need more than 4V input to give out 3.3V and the current my solution demands. Do anyone know of a solution for my problem? Could a zener diode (3.3V) and some capacitors be a good solution?

You could just use a diode with a lower voltage drop across it.

Although most low voltage logic systems are still not that fussy about how accurately the voltage is maintained. Being only .3 volt over the rated limit shouldn't cause any problems. Its still under the 10% over range limit thats common in most electronics devices.

My Computers system monitor doesn't register a over voltage alarm point until 3.9 volts on the 3.3 volt DC buss.

Ok. Thank you for your replays! I will check out the regulator from Linear and also how sensitive my components are to 3.6V.
But aren't the regulator better suited to supply more/"cleaner" current than no regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back