Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc/dc convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve england

Has any one an idea on how to make a dc/dc convertor for 12 to 24volt.
Do I need to convert dc to ac incorperate a transformer up to 24 volt then convert back to dc. If so what type of circuit do I need. Any help please

Depends on how much current/power you need from the converter. For low-current, light loads, you can actually make a voltage multiplier using a 555 timer in the astable mode driving the multiplier (voltage doubler, tripler, quadrupler, etc.).

For higher currents, check out the Maxim website for boost converters and such. **broken link removed**

Currents in the 1A+ range is a different matter and may require the system you suggested.

Dean

steve england said:
Has any one an idea on how to make a dc/dc convertor for 12 to 24volt.
Do I need to convert dc to ac incorperate a transformer up to 24 volt then convert back to dc. If so what type of circuit do I need. Any help please

I think this thread is elsewhere... ?? What are your requirements? Specify as much as you can think of.

1) Output regulation / power. Do you need to draw 2 A from the 24V and when you do, does it matter if the 24 drops to 23V? What can you live with?

2) Input range. Is 13V or 11V ok? Will it be 12 +/-5%?

3) Output ripple in pk-pk.

4) Does it have to be low EMI? will there be sensitive circuits around that might get bothered by switching spikes all over the place?

5) Efficiency. Is 12V a battery that you need to maximize run time on? would you be willing to live with 60% efficiency if it makes the design less complicated / lower cost?

6) Cost. Any particular requirements? Are you making lots of these so low cost will add up to lots of savings. Or, do you not care so much cuz you'll spend a few bucks to make just one.

Some food for thought! Please take a few minutes and think about what kind of things you have in mind for the design.

I just finished an ultra low noise boost converter and I did the transformer design myself(for common mode current reasons) so this stuff is real fresh in my head (and my design notes are in arms reach!) 8)

If you can post your requirements, I can provide you a topology and some parts to consider using. Then I will help you with calculating the values and choosing components but you'll have to do the work. I can point you in the right direction for putting the design together. For your case, you dont need a transformer but you will need an inductor. Depending on what you give as requirements we can find one suitable or even design one and wind your own.

I think I simple boost topology with feedback is all you need to do. Or a voltage multiplier if your load is small. Let us know!!

Here's a link that might help explain, it also has a tool that allows you to type in your voltage/current requirements and it will calculate the rest for you.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back