DC CDI ignition for 2 stroke engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektrojack

Hello everyone,
After much research of a valid cdi unit for a two-stroke engine, I decided to build one.
I would guess which design bearings.
I would like to create a dc dc converter that raises the voltage of a battery 12v 12Ah to 400V.
With this tension the unit charges a capacity of 2.2 uF and then discharge the energy on a high voltage coil.
The engine in question tried with the original contacts comes around 13000rpm but it may upgrade with an electronic ignition.

I suppose the maximum revolution is 15000RPM.

i tried some circuits on the web but the capacitor doesn't reaches the required voltage in 3,5ms (15000rpm->4ms of period, 3,5 for the charge, 1ms for discarge).

I can absorbe a maximum of 6Amps from the battery.

Can someone help me?

Thanks an sorry for my english

You don't list the area/country that your in so don't know if this will help or not. An easy way to do this is with a General Motors HEI (high energy ignition) module. They were used world wide on GM cars. They are self contained and can be point driven/switched. Here is a link on how to do it. **broken link removed**

You can have the schematic for the CDI that I built for my motorcycle.

Well, the attachment link is not working here so I would have to send it to your email.

Thanks a lot for the answers; i'm from italy.

The hei module is a simple way for preservation of points, but i need a cdi.

I tried some configurations of flyback with transformer but it charges the capcitor too slowly.
Did you try your circuits with an oscilloscope?

I like it. Can you give details about the transformer? What is the core type? What guage of wire? Thanks.

HA ronv, I didn't see your question

Last edited:
Hi, tahnks for the replys.
i used a toroidal ferrite core transformer, and then an ETD34 core transformer.
There is someone that knows a solution by boost converter without transformer?

Seems like it could be done, but it might get a little tricky to "unhook" the inductor so it wouldn't saturate while the points were closed. Also a pretty big inductor. I guess we could kick it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…