Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC CDI ignition for 2 stroke engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektrojack

Hello everyone,
After much research of a valid cdi unit for a two-stroke engine, I decided to build one.
I would guess which design bearings.
I would like to create a dc dc converter that raises the voltage of a battery 12v 12Ah to 400V.
With this tension the unit charges a capacity of 2.2 uF and then discharge the energy on a high voltage coil.
The engine in question tried with the original contacts comes around 13000rpm but it may upgrade with an electronic ignition.

I suppose the maximum revolution is 15000RPM.

i tried some circuits on the web but the capacitor doesn't reaches the required voltage in 3,5ms (15000rpm->4ms of period, 3,5 for the charge, 1ms for discarge).

I can absorbe a maximum of 6Amps from the battery.

Can someone help me?

Thanks an sorry for my english :)

You don't list the area/country that your in so don't know if this will help or not. An easy way to do this is with a General Motors HEI (high energy ignition) module. They were used world wide on GM cars. They are self contained and can be point driven/switched. Here is a link on how to do it. **broken link removed**

Hello everyone,
After much research of a valid cdi unit for a two-stroke engine, I decided to build one.
I would guess which design bearings.
I would like to create a dc dc converter that raises the voltage of a battery 12v 12Ah to 400V.
With this tension the unit charges a capacity of 2.2 uF and then discharge the energy on a high voltage coil.
The engine in question tried with the original contacts comes around 13000rpm but it may upgrade with an electronic ignition.

I suppose the maximum revolution is 15000RPM.

i tried some circuits on the web but the capacitor doesn't reaches the required voltage in 3,5ms (15000rpm->4ms of period, 3,5 for the charge, 1ms for discarge).

I can absorbe a maximum of 6Amps from the battery.

Can someone help me?

Thanks an sorry for my english :)

You can have the schematic for the CDI that I built for my motorcycle.

Well, the attachment link is not working here so I would have to send it to your email.

maybe it will go through this time

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 05 12.22.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 05 12.22.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5,903
Thanks a lot for the answers; i'm from italy.

The hei module is a simple way for preservation of points, but i need a cdi.

I tried some configurations of flyback with transformer but it charges the capcitor too slowly.
Did you try your circuits with an oscilloscope?

I like it. Can you give details about the transformer? What is the core type? What guage of wire? Thanks.

HA ronv, I didn't see your question :)

Last edited:
Hi, tahnks for the replys.
i used a toroidal ferrite core transformer, and then an ETD34 core transformer.
There is someone that knows a solution by boost converter without transformer?

Seems like it could be done, but it might get a little tricky to "unhook" the inductor so it wouldn't saturate while the points were closed. Also a pretty big inductor. I guess we could kick it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back