DC adapters can you doubble them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidynphoenix

hello, i have a laptop that takes 12v 4amps, and i only have 12v 1a dc adapters, is it possible i could add them together to increase the amps or would i just destroy the adapters.. thanks

i wouldn't advice you to do that, save yourself of that stress of combining there adapters together the current won't be enough. what you will do is to look for a 3 - 4 amps transformer and build a perfect dc power suply for your laptop, afterall the constructed power suply will last longer if not forever.

They probably won't be happy. They are unregulated and put out a lot more than 12V when unloaded. You would be strapping together dissimilar voltages and the high ones would be stuffing current into the lower ones.

If they're unregulated I don't see the problem.

An unregulated wall brick is just a transformer plus rectifier; imagine several of the following circuits with the +/- outputs connected in parallel: they won't be damaged even if they output slightly different voltages because the diodes will prevent damage to the transformer.
**broken link removed**

However if it's a regulated supply, then it probably isn't a good idea.

The laptop probably needs a regulated supply any way.

i was afraid to try it, for the sake of the laptop and of fire hazzard,, i found the power adapter on ebay for a mezely 5 bucks, 15 with shipping,, thanks guys. i think i am just going to buy a new one and wait a week or two..
thanks again,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…