Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC adapters can you doubble them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidynphoenix

hello, i have a laptop that takes 12v 4amps, and i only have 12v 1a dc adapters, is it possible i could add them together to increase the amps or would i just destroy the adapters.. thanks

i wouldn't advice you to do that, save yourself of that stress of combining there adapters together the current won't be enough. what you will do is to look for a 3 - 4 amps transformer and build a perfect dc power suply for your laptop, afterall the constructed power suply will last longer if not forever.

They probably won't be happy. They are unregulated and put out a lot more than 12V when unloaded. You would be strapping together dissimilar voltages and the high ones would be stuffing current into the lower ones.

If they're unregulated I don't see the problem.

An unregulated wall brick is just a transformer plus rectifier; imagine several of the following circuits with the +/- outputs connected in parallel: they won't be damaged even if they output slightly different voltages because the diodes will prevent damage to the transformer.
**broken link removed**

However if it's a regulated supply, then it probably isn't a good idea.

The laptop probably needs a regulated supply any way.

i was afraid to try it, for the sake of the laptop and of fire hazzard,, i found the power adapter on ebay for a mezely 5 bucks, 15 with shipping,, thanks guys. i think i am just going to buy a new one and wait a week or two..
thanks again,,

I think you've made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back