Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data logger microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardass

Anyone have information about data logger using microcontroller (ph,humidity or salinity) using lcd touchscreen. please reply if there is some information

Hi,

There are several data logger projects on the web - but your brief is way too general be give real answers.

What micro and language for starters, do you want to hold all data on the micro or tranfer it to a pc, why touch screen ..

hardass:

All your posts appear to be built around the same issue. Perhaps you should explain more thoroughly in any one post to get the results u need.

I have been trying with this schematics i have tried by trial in simulation like this attachment. Port B4-B7 is to used another microcontroller.
To Wp100, i'm using microcontroller ATMEGA162 and willing to use c language. i was wondering if this schematics it is possible to use ph and humidity on second microcontroller.

Attachments

• alat.doc
    86 KB · Views: 186
sorry i'm new and i want this to hold all data by using lcd touchscreen/monitor lcd. is it possible micro can hold all the data of the logger? And can you give me some some hint to get it better.thanks

If you are using something like I2C to communicate between micro controllers then yes, it is possible to use the 2nd uC to read your sensors, most sensors give a feedback based on voltage levels and your micro interprets them on an ADC unless they are digital, then it works differently.

I assume by your diagram that the LCD is serial driven? I have personally no experience with touch screen LCD's and micros, so I couldn't help there, if you wish to store the data you will have to use something like a serial eeprom, these can range from 32k to 1MB, have a look around your electronic distributors, you may need to incorporate a file system, the MCHIP one uses FAT I believe, not sure about Atmel.

As for your second micro and the sensors, you can either poll the I2C or use interrupts, you need to read the manual for your compiler, WinAVR or whatever you choose to use.

Hope this helps

Wilksey

if not possible with lcd touchscreen how about using a touchscreen ipad or other? i have looked this lcd manual can read serial and usb. how you storethe data with using like a serial eeprom,can you give me some example of it?

Well, it all depends how you are connecting to the LCD, I dont know what you are writing to it and what you expect it to do, and how it is supposed to function, is the LCD going to be a seperate device i.e. have it's own processor, or is it going to be driven by the micro?

I dont use Atmel's, I am a PIC fan, and I am starting to get into ARM and FPGA's so I have only used Atmel a couple of times and that was for turning LED's on and off effectively.

But, here is a page that may help, step 21 shows how to read and write a 24LC256 EEPROM, it is in basic, but you should be able to convert from basic to C.
**broken link removed**
There are also a number of other maybe useful examples on that page to help you out?

Sorry I couldn't have been more use, maybe an AVR guy is lurking somewhere waiting to jump in the correct answer?

Wilksey

Aparrently i'm using ATMEGA128 and trying to input data humidity to EMS SD Card. Is there is a way how to store data to the SD Card?

There are some Projects to implement a FAT to an AVR Microcontroller in the Internet.
I've done that with an ATMEGA 32 Controller that writes the incoming serial Data onto an SD Card.
Logging starts by set the logging connector to +5V.
The maximum size of the SD storage is 1GB. Bigger Space affords a cluster size of 1kB - Too much for an AVR Controller!

To split the logging Part from the Store Part has the advantage to get more flexibility.
And you can use the serial TxD line from Controller additional, to serve an USB serial Converter like the FT232RL or an RS232 Level Shifter ( e.g. MAX232 ) for Live logging.
And the debugging would be easier, because you can test both with an simple serial connection to PC.

The next Problem is the Power Source. Most Displays need 5V Supply Voltage. An SD Card only works with 3,3V.
SD Card and Display can only work with "tricks" ( resitor voltage divider ) at the same Controller.

Touch Displays are often very expensive. A Dotmatrix Display and normal Tast's are much cheaper 2x16 Character costs 5,-Euros.
A graphical Display with 128x64 pix you can get for 18,-Euros. A Touch Display will cost you more than 100,-Euros.

Look first for a cheap Touch Display and an suitable library for the Controller, before start the Project.

As Humidity / Temperature Sensor you can use one of the SHT... Series from Sensirion AG
With PH Sensors i have no experience - sorry.

Attachments

• SD_Reader.png
    SD_Reader.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back