Dancing fountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_2545

Super Moderator
I have completed a fun project that shoots "pulses" of water around a pond inside a greenhouse. The water pulses jump from one spot to another, there are 12 solenoids connected to a micro controller. The circuit is simple,the micro controller turns on a 2N2222 transistor, the transistor drives a 5 volt relay and the relay turns on the solenoid. Times 12.

I put a motion sensor on the unit so it only operates when someone is around to see it. I programed a Basic Stamp micro controller to run 5 separate valve sequences in a random order.

Here is a link to a video I shot just after installation. If you look close you can see my assistants leg triggering the motion sensor.YouTube - Dancing water feature

Enjoy

Attachments

• Populated box.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 3,167
  • Jumping frog Flow chart.pdf
    333.4 KB · Views: 3,521
  • Transistor relay circuit.pdf
    306.9 KB · Views: 2,983
Interesting application mike, nice construction. A good example for a basic stamp.

Do the selonids feed city water or recirculated pond water ?

If you are using city water (or well) you could add a water level sensor and use the setup to keep the water level up.

I like it.

3v0

Last edited:
3v0,

The solenoids feed city water at about 50 psi. I was worried about recirculating the pond water, for fear it would gunk up the valves.

It does help fill the pond, which we did have to do weekly.

I did have to add a water hammer arrester, basically a tank with an air bladder, to absorb the shock of when the solenoids turn off.

Valves and jets

What size/type/model of solenoid valve did you use? Also, what did you use for the jet/nozzle?

Thanks

What size/type/model of solenoid valve did you use? Also, what did you use for the jet/nozzle?

Thanks

I picked up some solenoids from e-bay, they are 24vdc and have 1/4" threaded connections. Most solenoids will handle air or water, check the manufacutrer specs to be sure. The Nozzle is just a piece of 1/4" copper tubing.

Very cool! I've wanted to explore this ever since seeing something like this in Vegas Nicely done!!

Well, besides the Bellagio --- I was thinking of an interior garden/ponds with jumping water features... I *think* it was the Wynn... ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…