Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cycle Timer for waterfall pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Schneider

I would like to build my own cycle timer for a water fall pump. 1/2 hp. 110 V. I would like it to run 1 minute on, then 5 minutes off. Any help would be appreciated.

Just a couple of 555 as a simple timer, running a relay to operate the motor.

You can't get much simpler.

I realize this is an old thread.

However, wouldn't cycling a 1/2 HP waterfall pump 1 minute for every 5 minutes be pretty in-efficient? Not to mention hard on the pump unless it is designed for such cycles?

Sorry I know more about ponds, waterfalls, fish and filters than I do about the electronics. I know it depends on the pump as to if it can handle continuous duty or if it wants short cycles. However, a pond waterfall and filter are not going to be very effective for the pond filtering and aeration if the pump only runs in such short bursts.

What is the purpose?

cycle timmer?

I saw a pond timer in radio shack. it was designed for for a lamp while you are gone from home. this will work for you. $10us, you want to cycle the pump system too fast for a pond system. slow the cycle down to one hour on, two hours off . this will deal with short-cycle problems of pumping systems, and the bacterial problems. Surflow pumps are made with built in hydrostatic switching.
futhermore if you go to HVAC parts online, you will find free engineering stat sheets on any pumping system from ponds to heat pumps

perhaps this is for visual effect?

not for filtering??
If just for the visual effect of water tumbling down the waterfall but not shutting the pump off (starting and stoping a 1/2 hp pump does sound inefficient) you could put in a couple of 24v sprinkler valves.
one turns the water fall on for 5 miniutes while the 2nd valve is closed.
after 5 minutes valve 1 closes and valve 2 opens so water flows directly into the pond, not over the falls.
a 556 timer, couple of mosfets or triac opticouplers and your pushing water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back