Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cut and paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkim100

Banned
Ok...its driving me crazyyyy...what am I doing wrong???? why the hell can I not cut and paste shortcuts into postings!.

you are correct...I incorrectly used the term shortcut.
What I mean is that I highligt the website address (broken link removed example)then paste it into the body of a reply, it shows up correctly, but when I post the reply...it does not appears in the posting, as it did prior to being posted.
I cant be the only one that has this problem

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand what you are saying. If I paste BBC - Homepage then it gets converted to a hyperlink when I post.

Edit, I actually posted http://www.bbc.co.uk and the forum software did the convertion.

Mike.

Last edited:
A example is I cut and pasted a address for a strobe trigger (a long, far too complicated address to replicate) into a reply, and it showed up correctly...but when I actually posted the reply, all that was there was the line "strobe trigger"
,,oh well, obviously just me hving the problem...never mind

The forum software appears to access the address you post and fetches the page title to construct a proper link. In the example above I typed http://www.bbc.co.uk - the forum software went to that site and fetched the title so it could display BBC - Homepage - I assume it did the same with the address you posted and the generated hyperlink would still work.

If the page is for some reason unobtainable then I assume it leaves it unchanged. As in **broken link removed**

Mike.

It appears to auto-acquire the page name to create the link on a NEW POST just by typing in the address. But when editing a post it just links it leaving the address unchanged.

Inserted in original post:
Blizzard Entertainment

Added via edit:
www.blizzard.com

Last edited:
I dont think bigkim100 is the only one. I have tried many times to link stuff and use the other advanced functions only to have gave up from confusion and frustration.

If I cant click, copy, paste and have it work right by the second or third try I give up!

I don't have a problem with it.

Could it be your browser that's giving you trouble?

Copy the link and paste it into the address bar and press enter; it should work, if not it's the browser's fault.

The browser could be just copying the text not the link, right click on the link, click 'Copy Link Location" (Firefox) or 'Copy Shortcut' (Internet Explorer). Again try pasting it into the address bar before pasting it here.

Try changing your Message Editor Interface, located under User CP/Edit Options, to a simpler version to see if that fixes it. Does the link you pasted work when you click on it?

Last edited:
Or you can do it manually like this:
HTML:
[url=https://www.google.com]bananasiong/google[/url]
to get this:
bananasiong/google

It's really cool when you can personalize it. I like the ones that maybe say go here or something.

go here

I've wanted to do that since the first time someone did it.

Thanks for showing us.

kv

SO is there a simpler way to get something to work? You know, for us retarded folk?:eek:

I still have not figured out how to put a picture in the text area. I can only do attachments.:(

I have tried using the insert image function but I have no way of understanding how that works when I want to take an image out of a file on my computer.

Yes I am a 'computer tard' no questions or denial of it! :eek:
Find it, copy it, paste it. Thats all I can understand. If it involves spelling something forget it!

SO is there a simpler way to get something to work? You know, for us retarded folk?:eek:
Yes. :D
Simply type your message, along with the "link text" like you normally would. Next, highlight the "link text" that you want to be the web link. Next click on the icon and paste a URL into there. The link will then be properly named for you with the previously highlighted text.
I still have not figured out how to put a picture in the text area. I can only do attachments.:(
Upload your picture as an attachment like you normally would. Next find your file. It should be right above the "manage attachments" button you just used. Right click on that file link and choose "Copy link location" (Firefox) or "Copy short cut" (IE). Now place the cursor where you want the pic to be, click the icon, and paste the URL of the image into there.

Last edited:
Retards.jpg

As far as this computer stuff goes, I am still the one on the right but I stand a bit taller today! :D

Thanks!:)

Now if I can only remember how to use it when I really need too! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back