Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Custom USB connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmed

I'm thinking to use a DB25 connector to replace 2 USB connectors + 2 power supply connectors. Basically 8 pins for USB, 2 pins for 5V & GND, and 2 pins for 12V & GND (4A).
This way instead of 4 connectors, I only have one.

First questions, will USB communication get interfere by the powers (5V & 12V)?

Also, I'm planning to do a dual DB25 connector(one 90 degrees connector and the other normal parallel port connector).

Question is: When one end is connected, will the other end pick up noise on D+ & D- of the USBs (DB25 male connectors;therefore, the un-use end kind of acting like an antenna)?

Thanks in advance.

5v 1a
12v 4a

This is not a good idea. This is likely a very bad idea for numerous reasons. How about you tell us exactly in detail what it is you are trying to do, exactly what the project is and what is the power source?

Ron

Most DB25 connectors are rated at 5 amps, most people will tell you to keep them seperated. Power wires and USB com wires have differant specs for them to work best and should be differant cables. You have a limit as to how far you can go with USB and if you go to far with power you will need larger conducters to prevent voltage losses. Andy

project consists 3 webcams, a LED flashlight, and a multicolor LED. Right now to hook all up together, it takes 5 plugs. Trying to make it simpler (5 plugs into one); therefore, DB25.

Use a USB hub at the end and one USB cable back. Use one power Cable, For hub power, LED flashlight, and multicolor LED. Thats only two cables! you may need to work on the DC voltages but as long as the highest voltage is thare the lower voltages can be made. IE Run 12 Volts and make 5 volts at the end. Andy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back