Current Regulator w/ FET, NPN transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is a spec sheet im looking at for the NPN:
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N4123.pdf

There is a graph called base emmiter on vs collector current. Is taht the one i look at? In order to get 1ma @ 25C i would need a ~.68V at the base correct? If i wanted 10ma, i would need ~.72V . So if i set my R2 resistor @ 1A to drop .6V, i should be getting 0.1mA would i not?

Yes you are correct about the 3.1V needed because of the 0.6V drop.

Also, is the method i chose before correct. By looking at the FET specs and looking what type of output current is given for a given gate voltage? On some of the FETS i was considering (power mosfets), the graphs they give do not typically show the region of 1A. If they do show it, it is at the leftmost part of the graph and its hard to read what type of Voltage i need. Do you have any suggestions on how to get an accurate voltage i need to apply to the gate for it to output 1A? Are there emperical equations that you can use to calculate it rather than trying to read it from a small graph?

The value is not critical in your application because of the negative feedback. The FET generally also has significant differences in gate voltage from unit to unit and this will also be compensated by the negative feedback. That is, it only takes a small change in voltage across R2 to correct for a much larger change in the FET gate voltage due to the gain of the bipolar transistor.

Ok, this makes sense now and i finally know how to calculate the values i need now. Thank you everyone for all your help, i will post a topic once i order the parts i need and build a circuit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…