Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CT Secondary low current measurement before giving to ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinoda

In ammeter application, I am using CT for step down current value. primary current range is 150mA to 5A an i get secondary current 60uA to 2mA. what kind of circuitry i have to add for low current measurement before giving it to ADC of microcontroller?

A CT only works for AC. You will need a burden resistor on the secondary. This will generate both positive and negative input voltages for the AD (neg excursions have to be current-limited, clamped, and cannot be measured by the AD).

You will either have to do the peak finding in software, or build a op-amp full-wave rectifier circuit between the burden resistor and the AD input.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back