Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal oscillator using 4060

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

Hi, I want to make a crystal oscillator using the IC cd4060.
However I don't have any of the 32Khz or 500Khz cyrstalls as shown in the datasheet.
I have 12.000Mhz crystal. I want to use this crystall to generate 1Hz signal. (I have few cd4060, if required). Since I can't find any lower Hz crystall, So, I should be using that 12Mhz crystal at any cost.
So, what I want to learn is what values of capacitor and resistor should I be using?
Also, Can a breadboard be used to trial the oscillator circuit? (I have heard somewhere that it won't work!)

A CD4060 has a max oscillator frequency of only 3.5MHz with a 5V supply and only 8MHz with a 10V supply. Use a 74HC04 to make an external 12MHz crystal oscillator but the CD4060 will not be able to use it for its counters. Use a 74HC4060 instead.

The datasheet for the crystal will list the recommended capacitor values including stray capacitance.

Why not just but the correct parts in the first place?

If you use a 32768Hz signal, with the CD4060, you'll get a 2Hz time base which can be divided by 2, to get 1Hz using a single flip-flop.

If you use a 32768Hz signal, with the CD4060, you'll get a 2Hz time base which can be divided by 2, to get 1Hz using a single flip-flop.

Ok, I went hunting for 3.2768kHz crystal. But at best I got 3.5748kHz. Can I use it instead ? If yes What is the corresponding values of capacitors and resistors?
What I really need is the correct formulas for the capacitors and resistors for a given crystal? Rest I can manage.

hero,
With respect, I cannot see the purpose of your post!.

If the OP had a 32KHz crystal, he would not be asking the question.:rolleyes:

I made many 3.58MHz crystal oscillators with ordinary Cmos Gates and an American 3.58 colour TV crystal.

I've never seen a 3.5748kHz crystal before, are you sure you don't mean 3.58MHz as mentioned by audioguru?

In my opinion, it's often more convenient to order the correct parts for a project rather than trying to make what you have in stock fit.

You should be able to buy a 32768Hz crystal from most suppliers. If not, a good source is old clocks and watches

Can you get hold of a 4.194304MHz crystal and a CD4521?
**broken link removed**

Failing that, what crystals can you get hold of?

hat I really need is the correct formulas for the capacitors and resistors for a given crystal? Rest I can manage.
Those values are normally provide by the crystal manufacturer. Look in the data sheet for the crystal.

You should be able to buy a 32768Hz crystal from most suppliers. If not, a good source is old clocks and watches
I do have plenty of old watches, but since I don't see any label in the crystal, how can I be sure about its frequency?

Failing that, what crystals can you get hold of?

I get hold of a Crystal Labelled
KDS

I think the value is in Mhz; Thats what the shopkeeper told.

Last edited:
I made many 3.58MHz crystal oscillators with ordinary Cmos Gates and an American 3.58 colour TV crystal.

I would love to hear further about the your oscillators. It seems that, the crystal I have (3.579545Mhz) is also a TV crystal.

I do have plenty of old watches, but since I don't see any label in the crystal, how can I be sure about its frequency?

I'm 99.99% sure the crystal will be 32768kHz.

You can test it with the following circuit which will give a 2Hz output, add another flip-flop to divide that by 2 and you have your 1Hz timebase.
**broken link removed**

Posted by the OP.
It seems that, the crystal I have (3.579545Mhz) is also a TV crystal.

Its as 'agu' has pointed out its a TV crystal, why do you keep insisting it must be a 32KHz xtal.:confused:

You can test it with the following circuit which will give a 2Hz output, add another flip-flop to divide that by 2 and you have your 1Hz timebase.
**broken link removed**

Thank you very much. Now I am all set to break up an old watch. :)
How much important are the Caps, and Resistor, however, I mean how much I can fluctuate them?

I believe I answered Mr Gibbs' comment but the post seems to have disappeared, I don't see why a moderator would've removed it because it was very polite.

Has the site been down or could it be my connection?

Anyway, another reason to use a watch crystal is that 32768Hz crystals tend to be more stable and accurate than other crystals for the same price. Watches and clocks have been designed to use 32768Hz crystals for years, for many reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back