Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cruise control with drive-by-wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowaves88

Here is my situation. I just installed an LS2 engine and T56 six speed transmission from a 2006 Pontiac GTO into a 1962 Chevy Nova convertible. I would like to install cruise control but everyone tells me it can't be done because of the drive-by-wire. I am using the donor cars E40 ECM. Can anyone here shed some light on this? Thanks, Al.

Someone in this forum successfully built a cruise control last year which used engine rpm to control a modeller's servo to press the gas pedal. Can't locate the thread.

Last edited:
If the donor car had cruise why not use that? The drive by wire, just eliminated the need to have a separate cruise control module/unit. In drive by wire, the throttle control in cruise, is taken over by the ECM instead of the input from the gas pedal.

You would still need the steering wheel "controls"(switches) that control the cruise functions and the brake pedal switch.

There were aftermarket cruise controls available as I remember. A vacuum actuator on the accelerator pedal and a driveshaft sensor for speed and of, course the ability to sense the brake being on.

The question is what kind of input is the accelerator? I heard that a sensor used in some drive by wire systems was two resistive elements that went in both directions. One that increased when pressed and one that decreased when pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back