Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crocked coo coo clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

got a wild idea while cleaning my garage and ran across a bunch of wooden gears that I cut for wooden clocks.
Then after my wife put out all the Hallmark Christmas music stuffed toys I am contemplating combining a voice recorder ic with a real time ic add in a pic .
can't believe the different prices on the different chips etc. Best price on a module with ISD1820 was $1.60 from Newegg.(10 sec of recording)
Would need say 12 modules for 12 hours (shut off the sound at night) throw in two servo motors I have as well.
My question is 12 modules or purchase one with 4 minutes for $15 or recommendation on voice recorder ic's.
this may never come together but maybe for a WILD conservation piece.

Well I have started gathering parts. Ordered20 voice recorder modules (only need 12) then ordered a time module

**broken link removed**

My plan is a "Rube Goldberge" type clock that displays time, date with sound . Utilizing wooden gears driven by motor as well as a couple of servo motors and photo cell.. Thinking a binary clock addition, rolling marbles in a track, several Leds. All controlled by a pic

Have several drawings for gear set up, need an electric motor maybe some plastic gears for good measure.

Jonseas geek clock has several interesting ideas for inspiration.

Are you actually recording anything real time? Those ISD1820 voice recorder playbacks are generally terrible quality. The bitrate is so low it has a lot of static and noise.

I got a dfplayer mini (MP3-TF-16P) from e-bay. Record your voice on the PC in WAV or MP3 format and put them on a small micro-sd card. You can just play them in order, or specify which to play yourself.

I tested mine with some Halloween recordings I plan to use and it's pretty clear.

the voice recorders are just for sound effects similar to say the bird clocks, Not sure what sounds I will record for each hour. This is not a high quality project just something to fiddle with.
Just waiting for parts so working on a trash to treasure project for my wife's Christmas present, three flame-less candles clustered together and controlled by a 18f1320 with a LDS for auto turn on. Using a rechargable Nimh battery pack so battery replacement is not an issue.

Just keep the option in mind once you get them and test them out. I found the ISD1820 modules to be pretty much unusable for any sound that I wanted recognized. My original plan was for them to be in halloween props, but they will be replaced with the MP3-TF-16P module.

hi Deb,
This app data PDF may help.
I bought some uSD card MP3 player modules from Amazon, they work well in pre-recorded 'security' messages.
E

Attachments

• spe033.pdf
    422.6 KB · Views: 194
Thanks Eric. I did look at the mp3 modules and just may have to purchase. Need to determine how many different messages can be stored and are they accessible as desired.
This project is going on hold until I get parts. Meanwhile am trying to get my "trash to treasure" project done.

Hi Mr,
I notice you mention PIC, it may be a project on its own but if you have enough slots left on PIC, you could put onboard audio device, as well as some external ram, I once found a 4mb chip(i think it was flash ram) with spi communication in a 8pin package (was while ago, dont know whats available now).

Also even though all this is feasible, i have not successfully done it yet, the ram np to operate(different project), but my few attempts at audio fell short... was able to decode the wav file to analog, but i think i failed when trying to convert analog to pwm instead of investing in a DAC

Thanks Eric. I did look at the mp3 modules and just may have to purchase. Need to determine how many different messages can be stored and are they accessible as desired.
This project is going on hold until I get parts. Meanwhile am trying to get my "trash to treasure" project done.
You can store hundreds of messages on the micro-sd card. You have to name them properly, though (001name.mp3, 002name.mp3, 003name.mp3.... You can access the audio files either by a uart command described on the pdf document, or just by cycling through them with the next/prev pins. With the uart commands you can access whatever sound file you want directly. I have not used the uart commands, yet. All I've done is put 3 sound files on it and cycled through.

There's an arduino library off the description page which you can steal functions for the uart commands.
https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/DFPlayer_Mini_SKU:DFR0299

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back