Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

creating a schematic from PCboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I have a PCboard (Komec 936) that I need to create a schematic so I can diagnose why after replacing the heating element and discovering that the Hakko 907 iron is wired differently I need to repair.
Thinking taking a picture of the top component side as well as the trace side, mirror the trace side then layout the board using Expresspcb or ? to create the schematic.
Am sure this is not the first time anyone has done this.
Any suggestions?

I find it much faster to scratch out a rough drawing on paper first then transfer it it PC artwork with ExpressPCB.

It just takes time to follow through the traces and identify each component one by one.

Good luck.

Pete.

Reverse engineering does take time. I am not familiar with ExpressPCB as i use Eagle. I have done it both ways. Direct to Eagle or sketch to paper then to Eagle. Eagle certainly allows one to rearrange easier than the paper.

One added hint. Get a few different color magic markers. I use red, black, blue (signal), and green (signal). It makes knowing what has already been done a bit easier. I color both the picture and the actual copper on the PCB as I transfer the connection/net to the drawing. When done, the colors can be removed from the PCB with alcohol. That process helps me visualize the circuit in the process.

John

One added hint. Get a few different color magic markers. I use red, black, blue (signal), and green (signal). It makes knowing what has already been done a bit easier. I color both the picture and the actual copper on the PCB as I transfer the connection/net to the drawing. When done, the colors can be removed from the PCB with alcohol. That process helps me visualize the circuit in the process.

John

I think this is a really great idea; thanks for that! Often when doing a complex board I get 'lost' and this would sure help. I think it cuts down on re-checking what one has done for correctness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back