Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating a ground point in the output of a full-bridge inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPMG.power

Hi,
As there's positive and negative points in the output of a full-bridge inverter, how can we create a neutral point in the output of the circuit to use as ground in other circuits?
Thanks.

I think I can see what you are getting at. The power supply for your inverter cannot share any common reference with the load - if you want to make one side of your load grounded, then the power supply must be floating with respect to ground. That way, you can connect one output of your full bridge to ground (call that "neutral") and the other will be "live".
If you measure the power supplies of the inverter with respect to ground, you will see ripple equal to half the output voltage swing superimposed on the DC rail voltage.

I hope this makes sense - I don't have the facility to draw a picture at the moment, otherwise I would do a diagram to explain it better.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but here is my best guess:

Use a pair of tight-tolerance resistors connected between the two outputs.
The point where the two resistors connect, will be equipotential from both outputs. And could be considered a virtual ground point.

And there's another, completely different, interpretation of the original question.

TPMG.power, do you think you could explain better what it is that you're trying to do?

Dear ALL. Thank you for your answers.

As we can connect one side of the load of a half-bridge inverter to any ground in a device (as it can be earthed for protection), I was asked if can have such a point in full bridge inverter and I was wondering if we can create such a point and I was a little bit ambiguous (and still I am :) ) in describing what I was asked to do. I think what schmitt trigger suggested, can be a useful way to create such a point. And also I searched to find the attached figure to make sure that we can use the point in the DC link too (it is found in Mohan book).

Thank you all for your answers( tomizett, Nigel Goodwin and schmitt trigger). I think my problem is now solved.

Attachments

• FORUM.jpg
    FORUM.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 164
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back