Crazy Holophonic Sound Clip: Get the Headphones for this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I was cruising some Z80 forums and came across this really freaky **broken link removed** [best with headphones]. Can anyone explain how this stuff works? I could understand using stereo hearing to create the left/right illusion, but in this one the noise source appears move around you--in 3D!

our ears(pinna , ear canal etc) modify the sound we receive. the modified (freq: spectrum/phase distorted) signal is interpreted by our brain to image the sound source . u can digitaly do the same thing to simulate the effect , using DSP to modify the sound as per the Head Related Transfer Function (HRTF) . This is a common method used in virtual surround sound systems.

I used my pc speakers and heard just ping-pong stereo.
I wonder how they simulated the bad smell when I accidently pressed the big red button? :lol:

akg, would the effects of this HRTF vary from person to person? My friend described the noise as moving above and below, but I thought it was more of a front-to-back effect.

DigiTan said:
akg, would the effects of this HRTF vary from person to person? My friend described the noise as moving above and below, but I thought it was more of a front-to-back effect.
The transfer function is derived by modelling a human head and playing a sound around it. the difference between the played sound and what the model heared gives the transfer fn: . Since the sound image interpretation is depends on the freq and phase of 'received sound', the 'geometry' of our ear will have a effect on perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…