Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Craftsman Shop Vac Rocker Switch Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogblossum

I have a 3 year old Craftsman 125.12007 Shop Vac and the electrical switch has gone out. I called and Sears offers no replacement part - however I can buy a complete new head for $180!!! ----- A whole new vac would be about $100.

I'd prefer to try to find a 4-pole switch that would work. Even if it didn't fit the original hole. Is there another option for me out there? I know nothing about electronics but have already taken the vac apart to see if any wires were loose (and they appeared to be okay).

Thanks for any help....

Ellen

Why do you want a 4 pole switch, isn't it just on and off?
Do you have a picture of the original switch?

Do you have a picture of the original switch?
Take the head apart an snap a picture before you remove any wires from the original switch...

What makes you think that it is the switch? More likely, it is motor brushes

I think it's the switch because in the past year there were times when it would turn off on it's own and I could either "hit" it or jam a screwdriver between the red toggle switch and the housing putting pressure on it to make it run again.

I know hardly anything about electronics but I am more than willing to "rig" this to keep from having to buy another shop vac. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Just went thru this sort of non-sense (ancient shop vac). I replace th switch. Worked for a whole day. Brushes killed th motor. New power head. I liked the tip-amd-tell vacuum because it's small. Worked about 6 months. Took it apart and found a wire broken that was spot welded. It's been working ever since,

I got over 40 years live out of the first one. Not bad?

I just replaced a similar switch for a hoover vacuum cleaner which is nearly the same design as the shop vac. The switches were toast. I took them apart.

e.g. **broken link removed**

The "prongs" are 1/4" fast-on terminals. The hole size is ABOUT 1.031" x 0.466

It seems to be a RLEIL RLT-5; 16A 125 V SPST, not DPST Or something like this: **broken link removed**

Dunno it it would work for you. I tred to replace the shop-vac one with a protected toggle switch.

I've done brush replacements using a vacuum supply store. Grab something close and file. For a car blower, I actually increased the brush holder size.

I have nothing to lose. I think tomorrow I'll try to pull the switch all the way out, measure it and cross my fingers I find something close that actually works. Thanks for the above suggestions - I feel like I'm at least pointed in a better direction!

One of these may work as a replacement

Well, I took the old switch to a little hardware store in town that seems to have EVERYTHING. The fellow helped me find a switch about the same size and voltage. I came home, crossed my fingers and attached the cables even though I had no idea which wire went where. I stood back and plugged it in and IT WORKS!!!!!!!! I'm going to silicone the switch in the hole to help keep dust out of it and hope it lasts longer this time.

Since it appears to be working, I hope it's as simple as it seems.

Thanks for putting in the time to help me find a switch. I feel like I learned some things with this little project. And I certainly saved $$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back