Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cracked electronic board in Sony Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajsanford

I have a Sony STR-DE485 receiver. It was shipped across country and was broken. No insurance on shipment and USPS didn't even wrap the receiver with any protective wrapping inside the box. Anyway, the electronic board along the front of the receiver, where all of the buttons and knobs are, was cracked into. I took it apart and put the broken part of the board back where it belonged and lined everything back up, but it still will not turn on. Is there any hope for repair at all?

thanks,

ajsanford

You need to carefully examine all the tracks on the board and trying to jumper any cracks or hairlines in the board. Then start from the source. Mains in, fuses, switches, power supply, dc out, etc and see from where things are not working.

Good luck with it and hopefully you get it going.

It is painfull when goods get damaged in transit.

I have had the same happen to me with an old electric clock which got damaged in transit, and you have paid a lot for postage.

Last edited:
hey thanks for the post. Unfortunately, I am not extremely tech-savvy. If the product will not even turn on, is there one particular place I need to start looking? I have pulled the fuse and it looks fine. Any other ideas?

Just carefully look at the boards, perhaps loose connectors, bent parts.
You need a voltmeter to do some tests and check if voltages are present.

Be carefull with measuring mains voltages.

If the board is cracked, all the PCB traces will be broken - as well as putting the board back together you need to repair every single broken track (by soldering a wire across the breaks).

If Sony used a fiber-glass circuit board instead of a cheap brittle phenolic one then it would not be broken.

If Sony used a fiber-glass circuit board instead of a cheap brittle phenolic one then it would not be broken.

No, but it wouldn't have been bought in the first place as it would be too expensive.

Fibre-glass PCB's cost a LOT more than SRBP ones, it would have a big effect on the retail price.

I used fiber-glass Veroboard for all my projects until I couldn't find it anymore.
Then I used a very good Chinese copy that was also fiber-glass.
The fiber-glass boards did not warp like the cheap phenolic boards.

I used fiber-glass Veroboard for all my projects until I couldn't find it anymore.
Then I used a very good Chinese copy that was also fiber-glass.
The fiber-glass boards did not warp like the cheap phenolic boards.

It's all down to cost - domestic electronics can rarely afford fibre-glass PCB's.

As I've said before, I've never seen veroboard like that, and never even heard of it until you mentioned it previously.

It's all down to cost - domestic electronics can rarely afford fibre-glass PCB's.

As I've said before, I've never seen veroboard like that, and never even heard of it until you mentioned it previously.
we used to get double sided PTH general purpose boards as cut from proto type boards of an electronic industry (ECIL)
Now , in the market every hobby board, vero, dotted or bread board style, all Paper phenolic
i was telling the market guys, why not try 5 to 10% of board at premium for those who want?
I too wanted some help locating a schematic of SONY ST-707R ,
I sought from local Sony, they said , they destroyed all old service manuals on instructions from SONY
I really don't know how to go round this model that uses TC9302, LA165, LA3401, M50760-421, TC9172
i got this Rx as scrap from a ship breaking firm. somehow want to retore and use it, Nigel

Last edited:
My fiber-glass Veroboard was a dark blue colour. I bought it from about 1972 to about 1995. It was about 34" long by about 3.5" wide.

The new Vero company does not make the one I used anymore. They have perforated blue board called Epoxy (fiber-glass is not mentioned) but without the copper strips.

The ST-707R manual appears to be available from www.servicemanuals.net. But the receiver might not be worth the $15 manual?
I agree. i am trying to make out using individual chips' data sheets. But there is a remote ground connection and the component audio system tries to control the ON and off of this Tuner, few connections are not clear.

Last edited:
I have a Sony STR-DE485 receiver. It was shipped across country and was broken. No insurance on shipment and USPS didn't even wrap the receiver with any protective wrapping inside the box. Anyway, the electronic board along the front of the receiver, where all of the buttons and knobs are, was cracked into. I took it apart and put the broken part of the board back where it belonged and lined everything back up, but it still will not turn on. Is there any hope for repair at all?

thanks,

ajsanford
Dumb question: did it work for sure before it shipped?

A unit with visual damage may also have "invisible" damage.

FYI, I just did a search on:

Sony STR-DE485 receiver

and I saw one on Amazon for $130.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DE485-Audio-Receiver-Surround/dp/B0000665PD

Last edited:
It's not a STR-DE845? I have one of them, and the service manual. I checked the Amazon STR-DE485; my receiver is very different from this one.

Last edited:
Dumb question: did it work for sure before it shipped?

A unit with visual damage may also have "invisible" damage.

FYI, I just did a search on:

Sony STR-DE485 receiver

and I saw one on Amazon for $130.

Amazon.com: Sony STR-DE485 Audio/Video Receiver with Surround Sound: Electronics
if the O P needs the service manual for this model, he may look here-- it is in 6 parts

SONY STR-DE 485E Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back