Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPU not MPU/MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the MikroC mostly because it has the best samples and a real book that walks you threw the syntax. The built in help is great and there is tons of library.

Last edited:
There product is AWESOME trust me i read a lot about them to love there stuff. But 2 things stop me....

1... They BABY the hell out of a programmer. You dont have to do nothing almost to make anything. I find it to easy and have no feel of accomplishing something.

2... There prices are CRAZY!!! heh

There product is AWESOME trust me i read a lot about them to love there stuff. But 2 things stop me....

1... They BABY the hell out of a programmer. You dont have to do nothing almost to make anything. I find it to easy and have no feel of accomplishing something.

2... There prices are CRAZY!!! heh

1.....Atom your only a baby if you want to be you can write your own just like you do with C18

2...$249.00 that's cheaper then C18

i meant parts...

With C18 you have to do all the work still. ASM would be crazy but heh... C18 makes you understand a lot of how it actually works

You think the MikroE hardware is expensive??? :eek:
I would rate their high value for money inexpensive hardware as one of the best things about MikroE. That's why I started using them

Even their prices on compnents like LCDs etc is quite competiive and much cheaper than standard hobby prices like Digikey etc.

I think you might be comparing their prices to Ebay Chinese surplus parts discount resellers... ;)

I hear you on how their compiler makes projects easy to put together but like be80be says you don't have to use their library modules. I write most of my own to make them smaller/faster etc. You don't have to give up your challenges lol.

I don't get on here much these days, but just have to throw in my 2 cents:

It's not just using one IDE, but the Microchip tools work within their IDE and Mikro wants you to use ALL of their (I agree - expensive) tools. I wouldn't want to have to build my project in one IDE then have to switch to another to load my hex file into the chip.

Yes, you can use their compiler without the libraries, but for a LOT less money I find SourceBoost is one of the better compilers out there (try about $70.)

I used to use CCS in the way P.H. Anderson does, but like Mikro, their stuff is kind of expensive. At least their compilers work within Microchip's IDE.

I did work with a friend on a project, and he used one of Mikro's older boards. Great set of features on that one, but one issue I became aware of is that even within their products, the older boards will not work with the newer tools, so when you use the newer IDE from Mikro, you also must update the development board. The board we used was full of features, but cost more than a couple of hundred delivered.

I guess I was spoiled because the board I got for ~ $60 from Comfile in Korea has an ICD connector, 8 leds, 8 push switches, 8 slide switches, 4 high quality potentiometers, keypad connector, DS1302, DS1620, 24LCxx EEPROM, piezo, logic high/low test, max 232 and serial connector, power supply and a canned oscillator. It will work with low mid and high range DIP packages, and has sockets for each pin count - (5 sockets) all mounted in a case. They don't make these anymore, so if I wanted to replace it probably would have to pay more. (have a project to reproduce this board on my to do list, and will share that here if I ever get back to it...)

I think Blueroom hardware is a good value for the dollar though.

NOTE!!! I agree SourceBoost C is awesome!

Anyway the only REAL GOOD thing about MIKRO is that there data sheets and schematics are PUBLIC... So somone can easily clone the board and make it PICKIT compatible

being able to change some code, click compile, click program, then watch the pic run all in one window and do it in a few seconds is extremely useful!!

BeeBop said:
I wouldn't want to have to build my project in one IDE then have to switch to another to load my hex file into the chip.

Ahh. Now I understand. You didn't know.

The MikroC compiler does that! It has seamless modify code->click one button to program PIC (using their onboard programmer on the MikroE development board).

It can also seamlessly integrate through PICKit2 and other microchip tools, so you write code in MIkroC IDE, then click F11 and it automatically brings up PICKit2 driver and programs PIC using the PICKit2 if you prefer to use that programmer.

So the answer really is NO it wouldn't be useful to run the compiler under MPLAB for any reason other than what 3V0 said, a personal preference of liking to use a single GUI.

The MikroC Ide is better then mplab I think and you can use the pickit2
I don't know about most here but I learned how to code by reading and it good to have something to read Mikro C is very good to learn with and it's really usable before
you buy.

I found it interesting but not too surprising that ease of use (examples and libs) were about the only factors mentioned.

For a while now I have been saying pick the compiler based on the help you can get. Choose the compiler your mentor or support group uses.

For a long time the best supported PIC compilers on ETO have been C18 and BoostC. It looks like we may have a new addition.

I would like to mention that it is best to stay away from the compiler specific stuff that makes porting code between compilers difficult. When you can do it the c way.

3v0

Last edited:
It can also seamlessly integrate through PICKit2 and other microchip tools
Thanks Roman

The MikroC Ide is better then mplab
and Burt,

I didn't know that. Early on, I came across Peter Anderson's site, and really agreed with what he had to say about the CCS compiler which I was using at that time. I think 3V0 has read the same, and couldn't agree more with his position:
I would like to mention that it is best to stay away from the compiler specific stuff that makes porting code between compilers difficult. When you can do it the c way.

So you all know what I'm babbling on about I imported a quote from Peter H. Anderson - Embedded Processor Control
The CCS Compiler includes many built in packages; for timing, for RS232 communications, for I2C interfaces and many more. I avoided using them for two reasons. I wanted to develop code which was somewhat transportable with a minimum of difficulty to other compilers which did not include these built in functions. The other reason is that the source code for these built in functions is not provided and I am one who likes to understand what I am doing. I see many postings, "I am using the I2C feature on the PIC16F877 and it doesn't work". And, indeed, the poster doesn't have a ghost of a chance getting it to work as they don't have the source code.

Another interesting thing I noticed was Sourceboost C Programming on his page. :D

and
the Arduino

Jason, sorry, this somehow got on a side track.... but the thread is interesting, as yours usually are...

Would that be useful?
Convenient is probably more appropriate.

It was a simple choice for me. I use MPASM for just about everything and MCC18 for C on 18F' devices so I just needed a "free" (important) C compiler for 12F' and 16F' devices. Since the first two already run under MPLAB I don't see any advantage to running and supporting an additional IDE just for C on 12F' and 16F' devices.

I'm hesitant to install MikroC on my laptop just to view, study, and compile example programs. On the other hand, I would not have a problem installing one of the C compilers which run under MPLAB.

Just personal preference I guess...

<added>

Forgot to mention that I use Sourceboost BoostC for C on 12F' and 16F' devices. The 'free' version limitations are very generous. So much so that all of the memory on 12F675 and 12F683 devices can be used without limitation.

Last edited:

Forgot to mention that I use Sourceboost BoostC for C on 12F' and 16F' devices. The 'free' version limitations are very generous. So much so that all of the memory on 12F675 and 12F683 devices can be used without limitation.

Same with MikroC and MikroC PRO, both have 2k free demo limit so they will run 12F675, 16F628 and 12F683 to full memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back