Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPLD and FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey men and women,

I just recently heard that these CPLD and FPGA are also powerful tools in the embedded design world. And more, these are often parallel in design, unlike any microprocessors/controllers sold.

I'm planning to start FPGA because I'm pretty interested in designing my own digital system. I found the Altera DE0 board with academic pricing and I could obtain it with some permission and discount from my project supervisor.

The thing is, I've studied a semester of digital electronics, but all these are just rudimentary (K-maps, flip-flops, counters, and others). Would it be enough for me to start 'drawing' logic designs in the FPGA board? Must I start with 'drawing' uh.. example a simple counter, or a simple 7-seg decoder before I jump into something more intricate, which are those shift-registers and stuff?

And what about the CPLDs? I read somewhere that one guy uses a CPLD with a PIC microcontroller to do complex tasks. :D

The typical way to configure FPGA's and CPLD's is to use a hardware descriptive language (HDL) like verilog or VHDL. There are stil some schematic entry tools, I think, but they are declining in use. I can't advise you on the usage of them, as I do all my design in HDL's. Altera's site should have some good recommendations, and you can most likely get some free editors. Also try Cadence to see if they have any tools for download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back