Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

could someone please explain how this circuit works

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

Hi all, im looking at making this circuit for a audio mixer.

I would like to try and understand how it works before i attempt to build it :)

The main thing im unsure of is the FET's purpose and why do you need a 9v supply?

thanks

Attachments

• mixer1..gif
    mixer1..gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 176
Well that's a REALLY poor mixer, barely worthy of the name. Far better to build a proper mixer using a single opamp.

The FET (or opamp) is to provide gain to make up for the losses in the mixing process, the 9V battery powers it.

I think the choice of using FET is just a random choice. An opamp amplifier or a common emitter should work as well.

The fet here is used like an emitter follower. It has no voltage gain, but it supplies a high impedance point for the signals to be mixed together and increases the current so the signals can be sent to another stage. You need a voltage supply because transistors don't work without any voltage or power, and it's 9 volts so several volts of signal can be handled without clipping the peaks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back