Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

could i find such batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
A golf cart which goes from naught to sixty in 4 secs, mind you :)
Have you seen the torque in this little baby? Max torque from 0 - 14000 RPM (which may or may not be comparable to a gasoline engine's RPM). To revert to teenage mindset for a second, that could end up in some rather funny drag races with guys in gasoline cars :)
But as they state on the home page, this car is expensive because its made in small numbers, and because they build it in exclusive materials and designs to make it more "trendy". A cheaper family car version is in the planning.
Although it'll ruin Danish economy, I want one.

Pax Writer said:
I want one.
You will need a second one as a spare.
Its battery runs down. At first its range is 245km. Then 200km. Then 150km. Then you get to where you want to go and have gone before but it doesn't get back home.

He he, yes well let's hope it doesn't come to that :)
Hopefully the batteries are high enough quality that at least it'll be a couple of recharges before they run down. I'm sure spares aren't quite cheap...
... Oh, but back to the plane-thing and sorry for highjacking the thread with this teslamotor-stuff.

jimb, what battery could be in existence that is cheap and has high capacity?
You have chosen 2 of the three. Lead-acid meets these two goals. Sorry, that's how it is.

Pax Writer said:
Oh yeah? Go check out www.teslamotors.com. They have very decent-looking battery driven cars for sale. They're still a bit pricey, but you do get some serious performance for your buck :D
/Pax

That's a lovely machine ..... shame the batteries are too expensive for practical ownership just yet.

ok well is there a way i can calculate all the necessary info in all this - from how much power would the motors need to get the aircraft of ** weight to fly, then how much power the ** batteries deliver at ** volts, and finally how long the ** batteries last

** = blank (so you know)

hiigaran said:
ok well is there a way i can calculate all the necessary info in all this -

There are sites that show recomemded power in watts per pound for model airplanes. I suspect those recommendations would lead to a greatly overpowered ultralight. Even at the low end, though, you will be looking at a 10KW to 15 KW motor for a flying weight of 300# or so.

Edit (from a hobby site):
50W/Lb = Scale or slow flight
75W/Lb = Sport and mild Aerobatic
100W/Lb = High performance and Fully aerobatic
200W/Lb = 3D aerobatics

On the other end of the scale, McCready (hope the spelling is close) had less than a horsepower for his man-powered airplanes.

There are formulas from aerodynamics that would allow calculation once you have projected speeds, weights, drag, and lift figures. You also need to decide whether you want just power-assisted flight or you want the thing to take off from the ground. The latter requires much more power.

However, for a start, I suggest you look at powered ultralights similar to what you plan to build. Find the horsepower and assume that an electric of the same equivalent wattage or less will work. In fact, an electric of 1/2 to 2/3 of the IC engine wattage may work just fine. Note: modern brushless electrics can give power outputs of 80 to 90% of the power input. With that information, you can make a rough guess of the power train requirement and weight. Add that to the initial weight estimate and repeat calculations.

Neu motors (https://www.neumotors.com/) has a motor calculation program and makes some pretty large motors. Just go to any of the motor selection sections like the 1105. Once there, click on motor calculator and you can chose any motor you want. I have read about one model design that used a single 8 KW motor! My impression was that that might provide enough power to assist flight in a full size airplane. John

Last edited:
The cost of recharging would not be trivial either. More than the cost of gas, no doubt. Asuming you can land somewhere legal and plug in, you're gonna be there a while... and your battery will degrade with each use probably.

The green folk forget that electricity does not come cheap, and, for the most most part has more pollution production than if you just burned gas in the first place.

If silent operation is what you are after, maybe you could just muffle the gas engine and sneak stealthily to and fro......

ahtoburen said:
If silent operation is what you are after, maybe you could just muffle the gas engine and sneak stealthily to and fro......
Helllooo? Glider! Or powered glider! Somehow black gliders doesn't seem as sinister as black helicopters though...but maybe...that's the whole point...

dknguyen said:
If there was, why would we be using any other kinds of batteries at all? Lead-acid are about as cheap as they get for capacity and Lipo are about as good as they get for density (barring NASA and military batteries).
The chances are that NASA and military batteries will provide a lower energy density as desin compromises will have probably been made in order to comply with the standards regarding temperature range and reliability.

Still, they have been deemed to dangerous for civilian use. THat's gotta say something.

dknguyen said:
Helllooo? Glider! Or powered glider! Somehow black gliders doesn't seem as sinister as black helicopters though...but maybe...that's the whole point...

That brought a smile. There are black gliders, and purple, red, etc. They are made that way so you can see them or to save weight on paint. It is common to leave carbon fiber unpainted on the bottom.

My guess is that the OP neither intends to be stealthy nor green. Gliding is peaceful and the IC engine contributes a lot of noise and vibration. Noise from the prop is the other major source, which can be more easily reduced with an electric motor. John

audioguru said:
The little Tesla electric sports car is cute. Its aluminum chassis is "bonded". Glued together?

The first one was picked up in San Francisco. A Chinese import?

$98,000.00???? For a tiny lttle car about the size of a golf cart?

Made by Lotus here in England, but not for sale here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back