Converting car stereo output to line level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antyx

I recently installed a pioneer CD player into my mothers mini-van as a christmas present. It turns out she requires the use of her factory tape player. I purchased what is call an IP-BUS auxiliary line input adapter for the CD player so that I can hook the tape player up to it but I need to step down the output of the tape player to something acceptable by the CD player. The CD player requires the input voltage be not more than 1v. I was wondering if anyone has a good and simple solution to prevent the tape players amplified outputs from toasting the line level inputs of the CD player. I'm sure I could turn the volume of the tape player down very low but I know my mother would try to crank up the volume on the wrong head unit so I need some sort of protection.

Any advice is appreciated

All you need is a simple resistive attenuator (two resistors per channel), but even better (if you can) simply tap off the top of the volume control for a line level output. As suitable values for the resistors, try a 10K from the output, and a 2.2K down to ground, taking the feed to the CD player from the junction of the two - this gives (roughly) 5 to 1 reduction.

What wattage rating do you think would be acceptable?

All I have here are 1/4's, think that's enough?

Re: What wattage rating do you think would be acceptable?

Antyx said:
All I have here are 1/4's, think that's enough?

Presuming you mean 1/4 watt, yes that's fine!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…