Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting a motor to a generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

supasoaker

I have been looking at a number of sites on how to convert a motor into an inductance generator.

I have been told that I can use capacitors in parallel to get the thing going and this will allow sustained use but that I can only operate a motor (with this power generated) as long as the motor is 1/10 the power of the converted inductance generator (because, and I quote: 'added inductance of the motor will cancel out the capacitive reactance
of the capacitors')...

......is this true?

To correct the above problem can I simply use a transformer instead of a capacitor - in my ignorance it should work like a capacitor and store energy allowing the converted inductance generator to self start (also possibly raising the voltage which would be an added bonus)?

Everyone says that if I am driving the generator with an engine my output voltage will go down with load - can I not simply increase the torque output of the engine to allow the voltage to remain the same (keeping the engine running at the same speed)?

Much obliged for any help.

What type of motor are you planning to use?

Everyone says that if I am driving the generator with an engine my output voltage will go down with load - can I not simply increase the torque output of the engine to allow the voltage to remain the same (keeping the engine running at the same speed)?

Last edited:
It's an induction motor from the sounds of it.

If you charge the capacitor to a few volts, spin the generator up to full speed and connect the capacitor to the motor, it should give it enough of a kick to start generating.

It's an induction motor from the sounds of it.

If you charge the capacitor to a few volts, spin the generator up to full speed and connect the capacitor to the motor, it should give it enough of a kick to start generating.

Hi - thanks. I understand all that and it isn't what I am confused about.

What I am unsure about is if I can drive a motor of the electricity I am generating if I am using capacitors?

Yes it is an induction motor by the way!

Yes you can use the power generated to power a motor but you can't use it to power a motor used to turn the generator because that would be perpetual motion which would be impossible.

I've just realised some of the wording in my prvious post was confusing, I meant to say:

If you charge the capacitor to a few volts, spin the generator up to full speed and connect the capacitor to the motor, you're using as an alternator, it should give it enough of a kick to start generating.

Yes you can use the power generated to power a motor but you can't use it to power a motor used to turn the generator because that would be perpetual motion which would be impossible.

I've just realised some of the wording in my prvious post was confusing, I meant to say:

sounds good to me - if I make the thing I hope I can power a motor! I am planning to rig it to an Internal Combustion Engine & to do a near like for like if I can - 10kw generated to drive a 10kw motor.

(note the NEAR in the sentence as I appreciate how significant some system losses can be)

Last edited:
Is it not possible to just directly drive the load with the combustion engine?

I see, a hybrid car but don't you then need a rectifier, battery and an inverter to drive the motors?

I see, a hybrid car but don't you then need a rectifier, battery and an inverter to drive the motors?

the plot thickens:

I am experimenting with the idea of a non-conventional setup. I am planning to use an A/C motor to drive the car and I will spin the alternator/generator and use it to obtain a variable frequency and voltage. The aim is to get a high voltage system where I can control the motor with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The hope is if it works I can use the generator to control everything (instead of having a rectifier and a frequency converter), a battery would be easy enough to plumb in where needed.

re conv mot to gen

you was try for some thing may you can find result but you can convert the DC motor to DC generator
in this case you will not lost your driving power while in AC it will be not possible as you want to do.
any way if you find any result I hope to provid us by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back