Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting a 30 -30 AC supply ---to 13.6 battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAMDUDE

Hi
IS it possible to convert /modify this circuit --30 -0 30 volt AC out --transformer /diode bridge /caps

to a 12 volt (13 .6 volt output DC ) Battery charger --with HIGH AMPS ---IE ----5 -10 amps DC
( IE power battery charger ?)
SEE SCHEMATIC ATTACHED -------
can anyone add /remove /create a battery charger circuit ----using this 30 -30 transformer ---?

Will be very grateful -------
best regards ----Zamdude

Attachments

• power-supply-for-amp.png--THE CORRECT HOOKUP --30-0-30 TRANSFORMER -TO BRIDGE.png
    power-supply-for-amp.png--THE CORRECT HOOKUP --30-0-30 TRANSFORMER -TO BRIDGE.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 741
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Replace the 30 - 0 - 30 transformer with a 10 - 0 - 10 and just use one output.

I presume you can't get another transformer for whatever reason. You could do this:
upload_2017-3-18_12-19-48.png

The charge current should reduce to about 100mA once full charge is reached. The battery will drag the volts down to its terminal voltage. But remember:
1. Do NOT be tempted to put the diodes in parallel.
2. You MUST disconnect the battery when it has charged up (use a voltmeter - should be 14.6v) which might take several hours.
3. The resistor will get hot so needs to have free air flow (or get a 25W one and bolt it to the case).

so basically, rectify and smooth the output of your transformer, then connect a battery charger to that..........just make sure it can take the vin that your rectified transformer gives to it......you may be able to buy a led driver which you can set the current to 5 amps and the overvoltage to 13v6 and just use that connected to your tsfmr output

All in all, this reminds me of the old "Irish Joke" where the English tourist asks a local Irish chap how to get to some place or other...
The Irishman thinks for a minute and replies:

"Ah to be sure, if I was going there, I would not start from here".

A bit like TCMtech said in post #2.

JimB

Very amusing, yes, but I get the impression that the OP cannot just buy stuff at will (cost? availability?) so needs a way of charging with the bits they already have other than the resistor ... er... (a sense of deja vu here)... maybe ZAMDUDE could post a response so we know we are not talking amongst ourselves!

Almost all the replies above have been incorrect. None of them show the slightest electrical/electronics ability. Why are you misguiding readers like this????

All in all, this reminds me of the old "Irish Joke" where the English tourist asks a local Irish chap how to get to some place or other...
The Irishman thinks for a minute and replies:

"Ah to be sure, if I was going there, I would not start from here".

A bit like TCMtech said in post #2.

JimB

Or,
"Well, Firstly you can't get there from here. But if you start from elsewhere and go... It's easy." ;)

Faint bit of Irish in my blood someplace. Not sure how it got there but it didn't start from here I know that much. :p

Almost all the replies above have been incorrect. None of them show the slightest electrical/electronics ability. Why are you misguiding readers like this????
OK then, please tell us a correct way to do it.

JimB

... And we are amusing ourselves whilst waiting for ZAMDUDE to reply!

Spring melt is starting here so I am playing in the mud while outside getting much needed fresh air and exercise. :woot:

Thankyou Aarvarky -------(and all others -)--
apologies --PC crash ---
sorted ---
That circuit you posted----- is all I really required ---perfect !
most grateful -----
The 30 -0 -30 transformer was a relic from a guitar amp module I imported --yrs ago
the TDA amp burnt out ----( heat sink was live --) bang !s=touched with screwdriver----idiot ! ic burst
hence the transformer sitting gathering dust --just thought it might be converted to battery charger /for inverter /constant power outages -----(keeps DIY burglar alarms active via 12 volt lead acid --batteries )
(here in the backwoods)--lotta thieves ----you have no idea of how sharp these dark fellas are !(house breaking)
hence the alarms I built from scrap TV circuits etc ---no need to import fancy components ---DIY is HUGE learning curve --

appreciate ALL THE sage advice ----
regards --
Zamdude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back