Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling the flow of current

Status
Not open for further replies.
A diode doesn't control the direction of current. It just only lets current flow one way.

But there are other devices that do only allow current to flow one way through them. You can wire up a MOSFETs to do something similar. This is often used for reverse-polarity protection where the voltages are so low that a diode voltage drop cannot be tolerated. Diacs and thyristors also only let current flow in one direction (but has other quirks).

What are you trying to do?

Back to the OP's question, and your correction of the OP and your proposed solution, "MOSFET".
A diode doesn't control the direction of current. It just only lets current flow one way.

But there are other devices that do only allow current to flow one way through them. You can wire up a MOSFETs to do something similar.

I was assuming the OP had an AC power source and was looking for an alternative to a diode to, as you put it, "let current flow one way". I was hoping you would show how your answer, "MOSFET" replaces a diode in a circuit that needs a diode.

I was hoping you would show how your answer, "MOSFET" replaces a diode in a circuit that needs a diode.

Ambiguous questions give rise to ambiguous answers.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

JimB

Can you control the direction of current with something other than a diode?
Yes. Any semiconducting device can do this; it is the definition of a semiconductor. Examples include a FET (of any flavor), a bipolar transistor, a vacuum tube, and a klystron.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back