Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control LED by car ignition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim_l_012

Hi All,

i need a simple circuit to switch off a circuit when current is passed through it.

The 12v comes from the car battery, and I would nick 12v from the cigarette lighter/radio wire. The radio only comes on with the ignition.

i have a flashing LED setup, but I need it to turn off when the ignition is on.

If you could provide any help that would be excellent.

Thanks in advance, :)

Tim.

take its ground to the ignition.
that should do it.

Hmm I don't understand that one..

I'm a bit of a beginner so you might have to explain a bit.

What do you mean?

My mate suggested something like a NPN transistor..

I have been looking around and a NAND gate seems like something simple.. are they hard to implement?

If so how would I connect them?

Tim.

you can do it with a small relay as well, coil IGN and ground, NC -power to LED and common to supply

I think what he meant was, on most vehicles the ignition is a ground when the key is off.So put a constant power to the positive side of the led and run the negative to the ignition, then the circuit is complete when the ignition is off.I would put another diode in there too, some of the vehicles power circuits could become a ground if a fuse blows, which would reverse the LED voltage.

Attachments

• LED_power_off.jpg
    LED_power_off.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,395
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back