Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control Digitally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King of Camelot

How could I go about controlling the circuit described in this article(https://www.bit-tech.net/article/51/) digitally? The obvious solution would be a digital potentiometer instead of just a regular old pot, only problem is that I can't find an easily controlled 10k ohm digital pot that can put out high enough voltage. Any help would be appreciated.

Digital control

I think the best way to control in input voltage to that PWM is with an integrator. You could use a simple 741 circuit as an integrator with a UP & DOWN button to control the run voltage at PIN 1 to the MIC501.

If you really want to make it Digital, Maxim offers a large array of digital potentiometers, which could be easily controlled with a PIC or AVR. 8)

I'd recommend an integrator.

The MIC502 can run off 5 volts, and the control pin current is only 2.5ua max, so you could use almost any 50k digital pot in this application. See fig.7 in **broken link removed**.

Here is what I'm talking about. If you need to control it with a Microcontroller, you can directly drive the feedback capacitor through any port of your controller and do away with the toggle switch. :wink:

Attachments

• Example.JPG
    Example.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 475
King of Camelot said:
In reply to Ron H, why a 50k digital pot instead of 10K like the pot used in the article?
Only because a quick perusal of Maxim's pots seemed to show a preponderance of 50k units. 10k is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back