Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Contact cleaner strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincehhh

Many years ago I worked for Telecom (Australia) and we use a contact cleaning strip called "Microscrub"

This a grey strip 230mm x 10mm x 2mm that looked like very fine loop carpet pile.

Absolutely fantastic stuff for cleaning relay contacts or anything metal to be polished such as battery contacts.

I needed some today to clean up a slightly corroded button battery.

Has anybody any experience or more important where to buy this stuff

I have not heard of that product. 3M makes a series of non-woven cleaning pads, which are often sold under its brand name Scotch Brite. They are color coded and many people are familiar with the maroon and green grades, which are in the middle range of abrasiveness. There are two much less abrasive grades, a white and a gray. Sorry I don't have the numbers for all of these. The white is actually a polish. Here is a link: https://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal...ECIE20S4K7000000_nid=673HM9GXL8beRJ5GMFSMV0gl.

Norton probably makes a similar series.

John

Absolutely brilliant stuff, I still have some as they were throwing it out when when the exchanges stoped using mechanical switching.

This is the stuff which was used to clean contacts in the exchange, also came in strips.
MICRO SCRUB.JPG
MICRO SCRUB.3.JPG
MICRO SCRUB.2.JPG

Looks like a corded fabric. You might want to visit a fabric shop. Some heavy materials for drapery look like that. Maybe something in polyester or silk would work.

If you want to try, but can't find the 3M stuff locally, I can send you a small sample of the white and gray (I think the gray will be too abrasive). Last time I shipped something USPS, it took a few days or more. PM me, if you have the time and want to try it. I got my pads at a tooling distributor J&L, now MSC. That is why I mention Norton as a possible alternative. The pads are about 7 mm thick.

John

Micro scrub is about 2.5mm thick is double sided & has a slightly coarse feel to it. Its perfect for cleaning contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back