Constant output audio amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrybot

Okay,

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but me-- I'm looking to build an audio amplifier for my television. Our cable channels have varying volume levels, it seems. I want a box that will compensate for the lower volume level on certain channels. Also, it would be ideal to have the volume dampen a bit when commercials come on. Any ideas? Or are these just pipe dreams?

Thanks,

Mike

My Toshiba TV has an audio compressor that sounds horrible. I turned it off.

Look in Google for Audio Compressor Circuit. Most use a Jfet to change the gain so the average volume is always the same.

Do like I do, press the mute button during adverts - making the adverts apparently 'louder' just means I never listen to them.

Thanks for your help. I think I will kick this idea around a bit. Just muting works fine for the commercials, but that's only half the problem. We have a DVR and it seems like when we watch recorded TV (and skip the commercials, woo!), if we turn it back to live TV and it's on a channel that is louder than whatever we recorded from, we wake up the kids, as well as the neighbor's kids. Blech

What I have wanted to solve the problem of varying volumes on different cable channels is... a circuit that would remember volume levels for each channel and automatically use it when you switch to that channel. Perhaps the circuit could remember *two* volumes for each channel: one for the program and one for the commercials. Then you could use a single button to switch between these. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…