Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constant Current Circuit using LM317 1200µA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro_Smurf

Dear fellow technicians,

As I wanted to make colloidal silver, just for fun, I tried to make a constant current supply. So my powersupply input is 31,5Vdc, and my desired limited output is aprox. 1000-2400µA.
In my test circuit I use a potmeter to limit the current, and a leak resister to get the minimum load over the LM317, as shown in the picture.
However, Iout keeps running away slowly, but undesirable. I'm a mecanic so I studied many hours to learn the basics and now finally had the courage to ask.
I read the LM317 specs, min 10ma load, Vadj-Vout=1,25V, Vin-Vout dif max 40V, but Iout keeps running up, whatever setting I use.
On the load side is the conductivity of the destilled water, starting low and rising because of the Ag-ions being produced. Resistance aprox 25-30k.
R2 is the leak resistor, creating the minimal load of aprox 10mA.

It would be a miracle to me if it would work, so please can someone help me out?
Thank you,
Richard, The Netherlands.
Const current LM317.JPG
Test setup.jpgTest Circuit LM317.jpg

I think we may have a member who is on the run for disobeying Ohm's Law.

The LM317 is only suitable for relatively high currents, when used as a current source.

Just use a simple transistor or FET constant current circuit...
There are plenty of examples in the Wikipedia page:

Yes that's why adding extra load with R2:sorry:

R2 is not really a load on a constant current circuit until the circuit is completed and runs to ground. See black arrow. No current is flowing until you complete the circuit.

786A5475-AF97-49E7-8C68-9A5CAC927D43.jpeg

[/QUOTE]
A better approach would be a constant current (current regulating) diode. They are available in a number of current ranges between 0.1mA – 22.5mA. Use is simple, just place in series between the DC supply and load, and the diode will vary the voltage to maintain the rated current through the load.

P-22 – P-23 Current Regulating Diodes

Wow if only that could work, yeah! Think I ran already across that following rjenkinsgb 's lead on wikipedia. But for sure I will studie this to! Thank you

See if the LM334 is good for you.

From visitor: "A better approach would be a constant current (current regulating) diode. They are available in a number of current ranges between 0.1mA – 22.5mA. Use is simple, just place in series between the DC supply and load, and the diode will vary the voltage to maintain the rated current through the load."
Yihaaa, looks perfect this CRD's. GREAT ADVISE. Checked the specs and ordered some. Besides this idea I'm gonna use the LM234/334 also to be able to regulate CRD's.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back