Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting two computers with x-over ethernet cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forwarded this question some time back, I did not get proper answer, still I could not do it.

One of my PC using windows me and other one uasin windows NT.
I want to connect eachother with cross over cable.

What are the settings I have to do on PCs..

Many thanks in advance.

Hello,

you have to configure each computer going to properties of "Network" icon on the desktop. Put the name of the PC´s (PC1 and PC2) and the same Work group (Mahinda). Then enter on TCP/IP and give an IP address to each one (192.168.5.1 and 192.168.5.2) and sub network mask (255.255.255.0). Then accept all the changes and restart your computers.
Verify also that the netwotk cards are running properly on the control panel>system (drivers).
Sometimes if you don´t have the same operating systems you can get some incompatibilities and then you don´t see in one computer the other or something like that but if you do all those steps it should work.
Then you can share the files or folders you want to get access from the other computer and that´s all.

Make sure you install the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks service

You will most likely be required to install a client for Microsoft Networks or some other client

Add the user name to each machine and make sure you use the same password. This will make sharing a lot simpler.

By having the same username on both machines the sharing is specific to the user. You of course can share to everyone you might not want to depending on your application.

Ethernet X cable

Hello,
Make a X over patch cable to connect the computers with following wiring configuration:
1 white/orange 3
2 orange 6
3 white/green 1
4 blue 4
5 white/blue 5
6 green 2
7 white/brown 7
8 brown 8

the socket diagram for RJ45 is
Code:
:--------:
:12345678:
 :------:
  :-----:
    ---
-Mahesh Joshi, Bhopal, India

1. buy or make crossoever cable,
2. make sure each computer has ethernet card installed, driver loaded, and configured.
3. connect both using crossover cable
4. ping one from another pc to see if hardware connection is ok
5. make sure file sharing is loaded
6. share one folder or whole harddrive on one pc, then map it as a drive on another.

hints:
2. configuration can look like
PC1 IP 192.168.0.1
PC2 IP 192.168.0.2
and both will have subnet mask 255.255.255.0

open dos box and type
ping 192.168.0.1

if both PCs are part of same workgroup or domain you can browse networking and find the shared folders, printers etc.
you can also map it directly:
for example on PC1 you rightclick on folder C:\shared and under sharing select it is shared and choose if others will have
only read or both read and write access. choose name to share it, something like "pc1_shared" (without quotes)
go to other pc, open windows expolorer, from tools menu select map network drive, pick new drive letter (W: or something)
and as path type "\\192.168.0.1\pc1_shared" (without quotes).
If you plan on adding more computers, don't bother with crossover, get a hub or switch or router and couple of straight cables.
note that many new ethernet devices (switches, network cards etc.) don't care if you have straight or crossover.
they detect and automatically select proper connection.
if you have one of PCs on a internet, it would be good idea to allow internet access for the other PC as well.
newer windows versions have internet sharing but there are free proxy servers like AnalogX that work nice too.

Thank you for the ihelp.
I can ping each other when I go to dos mode. But that is all. How do I access file or program on the other PC. How to configure sharing mode on each PC.

you can also map it directly:
for example on PC1 you rightclick on folder C:\shared and under sharing select it is shared and choose if others will have
only read or both read and write access. choose name to share it, something like "pc1_shared" (without quotes)

Please explain this in details. Which folder do I need to right click. I am using windows ME.

go to networking, right click on your connection and choose properties
you will see something like this (your version might look silghtly different).
you have to make sure that you have installed following clients (top two)
- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks

Then you probably have to reboot (don't remember NT anymore, never seen ME but it should be like Win9x).
Make sure both PCs have different names (PC1 and PC2 is different enough) and they are on the same workgroup (WORKGROUP or HOME or MYLAN or whatever you choose).

After rebooting as nececary, open windows explorer, right click on C: and under properties you should see Sharing tab. make sure this drive is shared (give it a name such as HDD1 or whatever).

On ANOTHER computer, choose Mapping from Tools menu and assign some drive letter that THIS computer doesn't already have (Q: or Z: or whatever). As path type in path in following format:
\\ipaddress\foldername
Note that there are TWO backslashes at the beginning
replace ipaddress with address of the FIRST computer (the one that has shared harddrive).
replace foldername with the name you gave it (like HDD1 for example)
this will be something like \\192.168.0.1\HDD1
Hit F5 in Windows explorer and you should see your new drive (Q: for example).

Attachments

• msnetworking.jpg
    msnetworking.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,401
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back