Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting old speaker to bluetooth speaker via RCA plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwible

Hello,

I have a Sony XB60 bluetooth speaker which has left and right audio inputs for RCA plugs. I have two old LG speakers which I am going to use as my left and right speakers. I sautered the RCA plugs into the speaker wires making sure to be consistent with my ground and positive wires. However, when I turn the bluetooth speaker on, there is no sound coming out of the old LG speakers.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have looked at videos of other people successfully doing this and my setup is identical.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Are this inputs our outputs on the XB60.?

Hello,

I have a Sony XB60 bluetooth speaker which has left and right audio inputs for RCA plugs. I have two old LG speakers which I am going to use as my left and right speakers. I sautered the RCA plugs into the speaker wires making sure to be consistent with my ground and positive wires. However, when I turn the bluetooth speaker on, there is no sound coming out of the old LG speakers.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have looked at videos of other people successfully doing this and my setup is identical.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

The analog out jacks are intended to connect the XB60 to the analog inputs on another device (tape deck, amplifier, ...). The operate on "line voltage" about 1 volt RMS full scale and cannot drive a 4-ohm or 8-ohm speaker.

The analog out jacks are intended to connect the XB60 to the analog inputs on another device (tape deck, amplifier, ...). The operate on "line voltage" about 1 volt RMS full scale and cannot drive a 4-ohm or 8-ohm speaker.

Does that mean I need an amplifier? In other words, should the output of the XB60 be plugged into the input of the amplifier and then connect the speakers to the amplifier?

Thanks for the help

The Sony Bluetooth speaker already has built in speakers and has no outputs for you to connect different speakers.
Additional Sony speaker/amplifiers can be connected with Bluetooth or any other amplifier and its speakers can be connected to the RCA outputs.

The Sony Bluetooth speaker already has built in speakers and has no outputs for you to connect different speakers.
Additional Sony speaker/amplifiers can be connected with Bluetooth or any other amplifier and its speakers can be connected to the RCA outputs.

I understand there is RCA outputs, however when I attach left and right speakers into the Sony XB60, I get no sound. These are large speakers and I believe they have a 8 ohm impedence. Does this mean I need an amplifier inbetween the XB60 and the left/right speakers?

I understand there is RCA outputs, however when I attach left and right speakers into the Sony XB60, I get no sound. These are large speakers and I believe they have a 8 ohm impedence. Does this mean I need an amplifier inbetween the XB60 and the left/right speakers?
Yes. You need an amplifier. You can start with a $5 receiver from Craigslist or from a garage sale down the street. As long as it has "tape" in, or CD in or DVD audio in. Don't use phono in , the audio of phono is amplified slightly differently and output will sound too treble-ish.

Yes. You need an amplifier. You can start with a $5 receiver from Craigslist or from a garage sale down the street. As long as it has "tape" in, or CD in or DVD audio in. Don't use phono in , the audio of phono is amplified slightly differently and output will sound too treble-ish.
Nope. The equalization for an old fashioned record player boosts the bass that is cut during recording to prevent the bass sounds from wiggling the needle all over the neighbourhood. A flat response into a phono input will produce sounds that are too bass-ish. An FM transmitter/receiver does the opposite.

A flat response into a phono input will produce sounds that are too bass-ish.

Bit of an under statement :D

Hardly 'bass-ish' - it will be massively bass heavy (pretty well all bass) and most likely heavily distorted as the gain is also massively higher on phono inputs.

However, you can buy (or build) simple passive filters that drop a line level signal to a correct phono level and response - very similar to the feedback network of a phono preamp. But this is really only an issue is you don't have a spare line input - and many (most?) modern amplifiers don't (or didn't) even have equalised phono inputs - the few which provided phono inputs were often line level, and required record decks with preamps built-in.

My (old) Kenwood amp provides both moving coil and moving magnet inputs, selected by a switch on the rear - however, while I've still got my deck, and my records, they have been in the attic for a number of decades now!.

the audio of phono is amplified slightly differently and output will sound too treble-ish.
you have a gift for understatement... phono inputs generally have between 30 and 50db gain, and a RIAA filter which compensates for the characteristics of a phono cartridge's output response. an RIAA filter has a lot of gain at the low end, flat at midrange, and rolloff at the high end, so anything plugged into phono inputs will actually sound very muddy (assuming you aren't overloading the input stage).

but, yes, you need a separate amplifier (an integrated amp, AV receiver or preamp+amplifier component system) to play the audio from the output jacks. Sony "boom-boxes" like the one you have had a lot of power amp and speaker failures (probably because they put more engineering into the fancy "arcade" LEDs that light these boom boxes up than they did the amplifiers)

That bluetooth speaker has a pair of RCA sockets for audio IN from non-bluetooth devices.

It does not have any audio out connections.
The multi-speaker facility in the adverts is via a proprietary bluetooth link to other similar units and you cannot connect any external amplifier.

To drive other speakers you would have to open the speaker box and solder wires to those speakers.
But attaching another speaker in parallel could overload the amp, causing distorted sound and/or damage to the amp.

It is odd that the very expensive but small Sony Bluetooth speaker has no real or fake spec's for output power, or frequency response or percent distortion or any other audio spec.

That bluetooth speaker has a pair of RCA sockets for audio IN from non-bluetooth devices.

It does not have any audio out connections.
The multi-speaker facility in the adverts is via a proprietary bluetooth link to other similar units and you cannot connect any external amplifier.

The bluetooth speaker does have audio out connections. These are the connections I am working with.

Would an amplifier help solve my issue? I would plug the output of the XB60 into the input of the amplifier and then the left and right speakers into the amplifier?

Thanks again.

The little speaker does not have much output power (55W AC to its power supply minus its heating) and it has a Bluetooth receiver so of course it has line level outputs to feed an additional amplifier and more speakers.

The bluetooth speaker does have audio out connections.
Those are line level signals that you would need to drive an external audio amp to power the external speakers.

The bluetooth speaker does have audio out connections. These are the connections I am working with.
OK, my apologies.
Possibly more than one with a similar name - the Sony specifications for the one I looked up included inputs but not outputs.

In that case, you do need an amplifier to run more speakers, as the other answers have suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back