Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting an LCD to a GSM Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevanjam

I need to connect a GM862-PCS GSM Module to an Optrex DMF5003 Graphical LCD Screen via a PIC, i want the LCD to extract the SMS massage from the module and display it, i think i have to use a PIC with UART functionality, i have no idea how to do that, can anybody give me ideas or links to tutorials that will help me in doing my project.

Thanks
Sevan

sevanjam said:
I need to connect a GM862-PCS GSM Module to an Optrex DMF5003 Graphical LCD Screen via a PIC, i want the LCD to extract the SMS massage from the module and display it, i think i have to use a PIC with UART functionality, i have no idea how to do that, can anybody give me ideas or links to tutorials that will help me in doing my project.

You don't need a PIC with a UART, it's easy to do in software, but as many PIC's have them it's not a problem. You can find both software and hardware serial examples in my tutorials.

Is there any reason for wanting a graphic screen?, a text screen is far easier to use - and again, are covered in my tutorials.

Thanks for your quick reply, i was checking your website just after i posted this question , i found some very useful material , i will go through them and i will contact you if i needed more help, the reason why i am using the graphical LCD is that i might be sending an image to the screen (Future upgrades to my project) :D

thanx
Sevan

Hey, I recognize this post! **broken link removed**

If you have no idea how to connect anything to a PIC, I would start with a slightly less ambitious project. The actual hardware connections are easy to make but the software is where the trouble starts. Read through tutorials and learn how a microcontroller works and start by blinking an LED at a specific interval.

Next add a UART connection to your board and have the PIC send words to Hyperterminal on your PC.

Then add functionality to receive words from Hyperterminal and have them change characteristics of the flashing LED.

Then add your graphical display and have the PIC display anything that you type in Hyperterminal. At this point you will have bidirectional communication through your UART as well as a working display. You can then use the lessons learned to interface with the cellular module and display the results on your LCD.

You have to break everything up into little steps especially when you are not familiar with the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back