Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting a PC Gamer's Headset to phone line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
davepusey said:
grrr_arrghh said:
worth a try, and it should probably work. although to start with i'd put a resistor in series, just in case. You can prob take them out when ur satisfied that it works.

What do u mean?

i mean that between ur mic and and the power supply, but a resistor (10K or something), just so that if you have made a mistake, it doesn't cause as much damage when you first power it up. (i'm playing on the side of caution, but if ur confidant with ur wirring etc, u prob don't need the resistor). Either way, when u know that the whole thing works, and nothing blows up, u can take the resistor out. Make any sense?

davepusey said:
grrr_arrghh said:
my only other suggestion is that you use the power from the mic socket (just leave the ground and signal unconnected). Ur sound card may get a bit confused but hey, never mind

I didnt mean the mic socket of the soundcard. I mean the mic socket of my project (that the headset plugs into) is connected to my pc psu 5v output. see diagram below...

ahh, no, what i meant was that you use the power from the mic socket on your computer, to power ur mic, even though ur mic isn't plugged into it. Do you see?

Sorry if it sounds like i'm talking rubbish, I'm trying to be helpful, honest...

Tim

Also, there is a thing in this phone that was mounting at the mic end of the phone that looks similar to the photo below but it has three wires all are white and all are connected to the same side of this thing. i beleive it is the ringer, and if im right, can i cut if off (cos i dont need a ringer) without messing up the rest of the phone?

grrr_arrghh said:
davepusey said:
grrr_arrghh said:
my only other suggestion is that you use the power from the mic socket (just leave the ground and signal unconnected). Ur sound card may get a bit confused but hey, never mind

I didnt mean the mic socket of the soundcard. I mean the mic socket of my project (that the headset plugs into) is connected to my pc psu 5v output. see diagram below...

ahh, no, what i meant was that you use the power from the mic socket on your computer, to power ur mic, even though ur mic isn't plugged into it. Do you see?

Sorry if it sounds like i'm talking rubbish, I'm trying to be helpful, honest...

Tim

Why would that be better?

grrr_arrghh said:
i can help more if u actually display the pic. lol.

D'oh!

Here is the pic :eek:)

Attachments

• ringer_-_i_think.jpg
    ringer_-_i_think.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 263
grrr_arrghh said:
davepusey said:
grrr_arrghh said:

Tim

grrr_arrghh said:
i can help more if u actually display the pic. lol.

D'oh!

Here is the pic :eek:)

Attachments

• ringer_-_i_think_159.jpg
    ringer_-_i_think_159.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 268
davepusey said:

not nessessairaly, it was just an alternative.

the pic: it looks to me as if two of the wires are connected to the white bit in the middle, and the other two ar connected to the metal surround bit. It could be a ringer, I really have no idea. However, the black wire is probably ground, and the red is probably +v, so try connected some power to it and see what happens... (connecting DC to it may do nothing, you may have to connect it to an AC power supply)

Tim

grrr_arrghh said:
it looks to me as if two of the wires are connected to the white bit in the middle, and the other two ar connected to the metal surround bit. It could be a ringer, I really have no idea. However, the black wire is probably ground, and the red is probably +v, so try connected some power to it and see what happens... (connecting DC to it may do nothing, you may have to connect it to an AC power supply)

Tim

No. That pic is just an example to show something similar to mine. Mine has THREE wires. ALL OF THEM WHITE. TWO connected to WHITE BIT. THIRD connected to METAL BIT. Some of the tracks it connects to lead to the ringer on/off switch.

davepusey said:
No. That pic is just an example to show something similar to mine.

oh, sorry.

if there's a ringer on/off switch, then you can prob quite safely cut the ringer off, as it obviously isn't an important part of the phone.

i wonder y u can't just leave it where it is...? Save yourself the worry...

Any other questions, just ask, I'll TRY to help.

Tim

Hi folks. Just to let you know that i've just connected it all up and it works great. What is interesting is that i didnt actually need any power connection for my mic. I just connected the tip and the body and it works fine. Ring in unconnected.

Thanks folks for all your help.

grrr_arrghh said:
davepusey said:
What is interesting is that i didnt actually need any power connection for my mic

really, Is it loud enough? I'm supprised, but it is quite useful to know for the future.

I connect the left and right channels of the headphones together which basically doubles the volume, and when it fully on my head it's just as loud as any phone. But i do have to have the headphone volume control to MAX, so perhaps an amp would be an idea.

Mum said that when i spoke it was slightly quiter than a normal caller but still audioable. The interesting thing is that the mic didnt need a power connection at all.

South Africa Phone Lines

Firstly, thanks for all the info as I was just thinking of doing that, because talking while on the computer is a tedious tast. My question for you guys is whether or not you think all of this will apply to the South African telephone system as well. I have never found anything technical on the internet on the South African telephone networks, and believe me, I HAVE SEARCHED!

whether or not you think all of this will apply to the South African telephone system as well

hmm, I think that it should work, if you use the same method as dave. (i.e. connect the headset to the handset, rather than directly to the phone line). Even if the phone network is different, the mic and speaker should be very similar.

and believe me, I HAVE SEARCHED!

I know the feeling... Even with the holiness that is Google, sometimes you just can't find what your looking for :cry:

Tim

grrr_arrghh said:
Clyd3 said:
whether or not you think all of this will apply to the South African telephone system as well

hmm, I think that it should work, if you use the same method as dave. (i.e. connect the headset to the handset, rather than directly to the phone line). Even if the phone network is different, the mic and speaker should be very similar.

Yes. If you do what i've done and butcher an old phone, you dont need to worry about telephone line interfacing because the phone does that for you. Just replace speaker and mic with sockets and the hook switch with a SPDT toggle switch.

grrr_arrghh said:
Clyd3 said:
and believe me, I HAVE SEARCHED!

I know the feeling... Even with the holiness that is Google, sometimes you just can't find what your looking for :cry:

Tim

I know the feeling too... but the marjority of time, google rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back