Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting a motor to mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic_marshall

howdy all. I have a 3v-9v motor that i want to connect to my 240v mains. I bought a maplin "DC 9V (2A) Switched Mode Power Supply", which i thought would do the trick.

However the motor doesn't run constantly. It powers up for a second, then switches off, then powers up again for only a second, working intermittently like this. Why does this happen? How can I solve it?

I've also bought 2 "Miniature Dual Gang Linear Potentiometers" at values 10k and 100k, but when i wire it up the moving slide switch has no obvious effect. Please see attachment for images. If there's a specific way to wire this bad boy up, or if its a wrong component can someone say because i know there's other types of potentiometers.

thanks

Attachments

• jm85g.jpg
    jm85g.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 181
  • jm86g.jpg
    jm86g.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 166
when you say the motor powers up then switches off, does it come to a complete stop or does it stop accelerating

Also do you have a multimeter? might be worth probing the 9V while the motor is running

Looks like your motor draws more than 2A. Must be a big(ish) motor. More details would be good.

Mike.

A motor cannot really be 3v - 9v. This voltage range is too large.
If it is a 3v motor and you supply it with 9v, it will run too fast.

If it is a 9v motor and you supply it with 3v, it will be very weak.

You have to be more specific.

If it is a 9v motor and the data sheet says 800mA, it will take more than 2A during the time when it is starting-up. This may be overloading the power supply and it is switching off.

You may need to put a large electrolytic across the motor.

These are some of the things you have to consider.

Last edited:
If it is a 9v motor and the data sheet says 800mA, it will take more than 2A during the time when it is starting-up. This may be overloading the power supply and it is switching off.

You may need to put a large electrolytic across the motor.
A cap across the motor will increase the starting surge current, not reduce it. You want the cap at the power supply output, in front of a switch to the motor. This allows the cap to charge before you turn on the motor.

I've given you all the info that's been given to me colin. Maplin is awful for supplying details, the potentiometer came in a clear plastic bag and that's it. I think you're right about it drawing to much power.
I've also tested it out Styx, it the power supply gives a steady 9V. I'll put a cap on it after the switch as crutschow says.

I've also tested it out Styx, it the power supply gives a steady 9V. I'll put a cap on it after the switch as crutschow says.

ok it might be an instantaneous dropout,
Is the motor unloaded. I can't imagine an electrical machine would need 2A just to spin unloaded???

Last edited:
well i've had fun burning out caps, i better buy the right kit now. The motor's very small, that's why i thought this power supply would be ample. The motor runs intermittently like this regardless of the load (although my load's small anyway).

I've also found out that if i tap the wires together the motor sort of powers up and begins to work. How fun! But unfortunately impractical.

The motor might be drawing TOO LITTLE current. Some of those little motors only use 50mA to 100mA with no load and your 2A SMPS supply might have a minimum current value.

It's also possible the motor generates enough line noise it is causing the SMPS to shut down, I would try connecting a large cap across the motor, maybe 220uF or larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back