Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confusing TO-92 pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

This is the pinout diagram from a Fairchild BS270 MOSFET datasheet.
TO92.png

I'm pretty sure that I know which pin is drain, but the jury's still out on the gate and source. What the heck were they thinking when they drew it this way?

I have an iPhone app showing the left pin as drain, centre pin as the gate and the right pin as source.
HTH.

upload_2017-8-21_16-5-38.png

It is not clear because the leads cross. (in this picture)
I would solder a 10ok resistor G-S then with a meter test to see if you see the D-S diode.

I tried Ron's suggestion, and it showed that the source is at the end. Hence gate is the middle pin as Mickster and John said. Tested it in circuit, and it works correctly. So mystery solved. Thanks everyone.

I've been thinking about getting one of those gadgets, but wasn't sure how well they worked at identifying components. I guess I'll have to look into a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back