Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

confused between impedance and reactance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, JimB, Ratch.

Mathematically, I understand it but conceptually I'm somewhat confused.

The 120V supply is supplying 1A which means it's outputting 120W. The power dissipated by resistive load is also 120W because the current passing thru it is 1.41A.

The current supplied by power supply is 1A but the current passing thru load is 1.41A. Where does extra 0.41A come from? I believe that it comes as a result of power/energy swap between L and C because this power/energy has to travel thru the load and power is product of voltage and current. The voltage being dropped across load is 84.6V. I'm having difficulty visualizing how all this is taking place. Could you please guide me? I have also attached Multisim13 circuit. Thanks.

Regards
PG

Hi,

Try taking a look at it in the time domain.

First, calculate the amplitude and phase shift for both the cap and inductor branches, then apply this to the time domain equations. The phase shift for the cap is 90 and for the inductor branch close to -45 degrees. The amplitude for the cap is 1, and the amplitude for the inductor branch is about 1.410 as you noted.
So the time equation for the source current could be written as:
Is=1*sin(wt-90/180*pi)+1.41*sin(wt+45/180*pi)

When you simplify this, or even just plot it, you see a single sine wave with amplitude equal to 1 and phase shift zero degrees. The phase shift of zero degrees tells us that whatever was done to the circuit to correct the power factor must have worked correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back